Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I do not understand this vector identity proof

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    So I am trying to follow my professors notes. Here is my work on the proof. And on the bottom is my answer and his answer. I know my answer is wrong, as I do not fully understand how to convert the summations at the end to their vector quantities. Is my work incorrect?

[PLAIN]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6175/questionn.gif [Broken]

I do not even know what F times nabla means. I know nabla times F is divergence. Are they the same????

EDIT: Oh and his G is my q.

AND his answer has a -(G*Nabla)*F at the end.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2
    u know, i have done the above proof, i.e,
    curl of (A χ B)
    but it came out to be (B .[itex]\nabla[/itex])A-B([itex]\nabla[/itex] . A)-(A.[itex]\nabla[/itex]) B+ A ([itex]\nabla[/itex] . B)

u see, i am just a beginner in this topic, and i didn't do it like u did it. instead i broke it down all the way and did it. I know it is stupid but i was not so sure so..... but i did check the answer and it was correct.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    I got my answer to be his answer. My main confusion was linking the formulas to the vector operation in the last step.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook