I don't get ammeters or voltameters

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
In summary, the ammeter and voltmeter resistances are 2.00 and 268, respectively. If R = 93.0, the meters will read incorrectly because current is not the same as potential difference. To solve this problem, use the loop rule to find the total current and voltage drop.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, so far I've missed every single problem, this book has a section on ammeters and voltameters that is like 1 paragraph long and just says, the ammeter measures current, the voltameter measures Potential difference. And this problem asks:
n Fig. 28-40, the ammeter and voltmeter resistances are 2.00 and 268 , respectively. Take E= 12.0 V for the ideal battery and R0 = 119 .
Here is my work: http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2220/pink8iw.jpg

Figure 28-40a Figure 28-40b
Here is the first figure, 28-40a: http://www.webassign.net/hrw/28-40a.gif

(a) If R = 93.0 what will the meters read for the two different connections (Figs. 28-40a and b)?
Figure A:

Current wrong check mark A
Potential Difference V

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The current through R is not the same as the current through Ro. Are you supposed to use the loop rule to solve this? I'd think it'd be easier to do simple parallel/series analysis:

Resistor R is in paralle with the voltmeter. This parallel is in series with the ammeter and Ro. Find the total current and then the voltage drop across the parallel.

thanks! he never said how i have to solve it...So u said to find the total current, then the voltage drop, Do i use the formula for adding up resistors in paralell? like I know the same potienal differences across all resistors in parellel, so 1/Req = 1/Ro + 1/Rvoltmeter;
then find Req = Ro + Rammeter ?

Sorry for taking a while, the internet was down at school today. Yes the "inverse sum" method is how you find the parallel equivalent resistance (call that Rp). The the total resistance of the circuit is Rp + Rammeter + Ro. From this and the emf, you find the total current. This current times Rp is the voltage drop across both "R" and the voltmeter.

Hey no problem thanks a lot Chi, that wokred great :)

whoa this site is awesome =D

1. What is an ammeter?

An ammeter is a type of instrument used to measure electric current in a circuit. It is typically connected in series with the circuit and measures the flow of electrons through the circuit.

2. How does an ammeter work?

An ammeter works by using a sensitive galvanometer, which is a device that measures small electric currents. This galvanometer is connected in series with a known resistance, creating a voltage drop that can be measured and used to calculate the current in the circuit.

3. What is a voltmeter?

A voltmeter is a type of instrument used to measure the voltage difference between two points in a circuit. It is typically connected in parallel with the circuit and measures the potential difference between the two points.

4. How does a voltmeter work?

A voltmeter works by using a sensitive galvanometer, similar to an ammeter. However, in a voltmeter, the galvanometer is connected in parallel with a known resistance, creating a current that can be measured and used to calculate the voltage difference between the two points in the circuit.

5. Why are ammeters and voltmeters important in science?

Ammeters and voltmeters are important in science because they allow us to accurately measure and understand the flow of electricity in a circuit. This information is crucial for many scientific experiments and for maintaining safe and efficient electrical systems.