Laugh or Cry: Local Atheist Group's BBQ Sparks Controversy

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, a conversation about an atheist BBQ led to a response that atheists do not deserve to have gatherings because they do not believe in anything. This sparked a discussion about the distrust of atheists in America and Canada, as well as the misconception that atheists are nihilists. However, jokes were made about atheist gatherings, and the conversation ended with a discussion about a Muslim roommate who was not truthful about the speaker after they left.
NeoDevin
So I was talking to someone, and mentioned that a local atheist group was having a bbq. The response I got was this:

"You don't believe in anything, you don't deserve to have get togethers" (emphasis mine)

Physics news on Phys.org
?

WTF are you getting at?

Atheists are the most distrusted group in America.

http://www.asanet.org/cs/root/topnav/press/atheists_are_distrusted

Last edited by a moderator:
That's sad for America.

That's in Canada :(

You must be joking? :D It feels good to live in the most secular country in the world. God, I really don't like the theists. Although they deserve respect when you address them and socialize. But people who say stuff like that in OP's post should be trolled with no mercy.

that is sooooooooooooooo sad... i agree people are free to believe in what ever they like but the population of this kind of people is a really factor for each society... it is sooooooooo sad...

NeoDevin said:
So I was talking to someone, and mentioned that a local atheist group was having a bbq. The response I got was this:

"You don't believe in anything, you don't deserve to have get togethers" (emphasis mine)

Yeah. You people don't even have churches. Where would you get together anyway? :tongue:

They're confusing Atheism with Nihilism

nothing wrong with someone being nihilist...

NeoDevin said:
you don't deserve to have get togethers" (emphasis mine)
We had a good laugh over this at the local gathering of solipsists. Then we cried.

Wow =0

jimmysnyder said:
We had a good laugh over this at the local gathering of solipsists.

Funny, I don't remember anyone else being there.

Chi Meson said:
Funny, I don't remember anyone else being there.

:rofl::rofl:

maze: That is correct. Nothing wrong with being a nihilist. Many people are without them knowing.

There must be a lot of atheist BBQs, because someone saw fit to market these BBQ aprons:

http://www.atheist-tshirt.com/shop/cpshop.cgi/1905697602.atheist_tshirt-116924192+proud-atheist-bbq-apron.html

http://2fknfunny.com/cgi-bin/store/cpshop.cgi/bizarre.bizarretshirts-174587122+god-made-me-an-atheist-bbq-apron.html

Last edited by a moderator:
NeoDevin said:

It's not what people believe into determine whether or not they should be trusted. My roomate used to be a Muslim, whenever he saw me around, he would pray, or else he would ignore and had some fun with computer in the lab, most of his talks were full of lies, we still were together. I think I still owed him a lot, although I do know after my leave, what he talked about me is not true.

yeeyee said:
It's not what people believe into determine whether or not they should be trusted. My roomate used to be a Muslim, whenever he saw me around, he would pray, or else he would ignore and had some fun with computer in the lab, most of his talks were full of lies, we still were together. I think I still owed him a lot, although I do know after my leave, what he talked about me is not true.

What kind of muslim was him/her! talking in back of others is a FORBIDDEN rule in Islam ;)) ;))

s/he should make fun of him/her self! s/he has a tag on him/her self without even believing in it... let's change your sentence to this one!:
It's not what people say that they believe into determine whether or not they should be trusted; we have to see what they believe in their manner and acts...

1. What sparked the controversy surrounding the local atheist group's BBQ?

The controversy was sparked when the local atheist group planned to host a BBQ in a public park and advertise it as a "Laugh or Cry" event, which some members of the community found offensive.

2. What was the purpose of the atheist group's BBQ?

The purpose of the BBQ was to bring together members of the local atheist community and promote open discussion and dialogue about atheism in a relaxed and casual setting.

3. Did the local government get involved in the controversy?

Yes, the local government received complaints about the "Laugh or Cry" event and held a meeting with the atheist group to discuss the situation and come to a resolution.

4. How did the atheist group respond to the controversy?

The atheist group released a statement apologizing for any offense caused by the event's name and clarified that it was meant to be a lighthearted play on words and not meant to mock or belittle anyone's beliefs.

5. Was the "Laugh or Cry" event ultimately canceled?

No, the event was not canceled. However, the atheist group agreed to change the name and promote it as a community BBQ instead, in order to be more inclusive and respectful of all individuals in the community.