I don't understand an approximation (Taylor series related?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the approximation of a function when one variable is significantly smaller than another. The Taylor expansion of the function is calculated and it is shown that the third term is equal to the approximation of the function. The conversation also mentions a useful series expansion, the binomial series, which can be used to simplify calculations. The conversation ends with a recommendation to remember the inverse functions of the series expansion, as they are commonly used in physics.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I've found in a physics book that when u <<L, we have [itex]\sqrt {u^2+L^2} -L = \frac{u^2}{2L}[/itex]. I don't understand why.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the Taylor expansion of order 2 of [itex]\sqrt {u^2+L^2} -L[/itex] but I couldn't show the approximation. I get 0, which is "non sense".
If [itex]f(u)=\sqrt {u^2+L^2} -L[/itex], then [itex]f'(u)=\frac{u}{\sqrt {u^2+L^2 }}[/itex] and [itex]f''(u)= \frac{1}{u^2+L^2} \left ( \sqrt {u^2+L^2}- \frac{u^2}{\sqrt {u^2+L^2} } \right )[/itex].
So [itex]f(u)\approx f(0)+f'(0)u+ \frac{f''(0)u^2}{2}[/itex]. All of these terms are approximately worth 0 (the last one) or simply worth 0 (the 2 first).
I'm totally stuck on this.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. The 3rd term (the one that isn't worth 0) is worth precisely [itex]\frac{u^2}{2L}[/itex]. I considered that u^2 was almost worth 0 at first, because in physics when we have a differential squared we consider it as 0... And here u is considered very small so I got confused, but I finally "understand" the solution now.
Thanks for reading tough. Hope that can help someone else in future.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Glad I could be of service.

Good work, Pengwuino!

One useful series expansion to know is the binomial series:[tex](1+x)^a = 1+ax+\frac{a(a-1)}{2!}x^2+\frac{a(a-1)(a-2)}{3!}x^3+\cdots[/tex]Using it can save you from having to take annoying derivatives. In this problem, you could have expanded the square root as follows:[tex]\sqrt{u^2+L^2} = L\sqrt{1+\frac{u^2}{L^2}}\approx L\left(1+\frac{1}{2}\frac{u^2}{L^2}\right)[/tex]

Just remember

[tex]\sqrt{1+x^2} \approx 1 + {{x^2}\over{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{1+x} \approx 1 + {{x}\over{2}}[/tex]

They're used so often in physics you should really be forced to tattoo them on your forearm.

Of course, this is when x<1.

Their inverses are also used a ton.[tex]{{1}\over{\sqrt{1+x}}} \approx 1 - {{x}\over{2}}[/tex]
[tex]{{1}\over{\sqrt{1+x^2}}} \approx 1 - {{x^2}\over{2}}[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of using approximations in science?

The purpose of using approximations in science is to simplify complex mathematical equations or models in order to make them more manageable and easier to analyze. It allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions without having to solve for exact values, which can be time-consuming and impractical.

2. What is a Taylor series and how is it related to approximations?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, with each term representing the function's derivative at a specific point. It is related to approximations because by truncating the series at a certain point, we can approximate the original function with a polynomial that closely matches the function's behavior near that point.

3. How accurate are approximations compared to exact values?

The accuracy of an approximation depends on how many terms are used in the series. Generally, the more terms that are included, the closer the approximation will be to the exact value. However, even with an infinite number of terms, an approximation can never be exactly equal to the exact value since it is an estimation.

4. Can approximations be used for any type of function?

Yes, approximations can be used for any type of function as long as it is continuous and differentiable at the point where the series is being evaluated. However, some functions may require more terms in the series to achieve a desired level of accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to using approximations in science?

One limitation of using approximations is that they are only valid within a certain range or domain of the function. Outside of this range, the approximation may no longer accurately represent the behavior of the function. Additionally, approximations can introduce errors and may not be suitable for certain applications that require high precision.