1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

? I don't understand this answer

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    ?? I don't understand this answer

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The pdf attached is the answer to a question from a Calculus quiz. (the right hand side is a bit cut off, but the formula is repeated further down)

Edit: the "f(x) = ..., and a=0" part is the solution, not part of the the question.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

ok. I have no idea what she's doing here. when I do the derivative of the f(x) she gives as the answer, I get

1/2 (1+3cosx)^1/2 is

1/4 ((1+3cosx)^-1/2)(-3sinx) = -3sinx / 4 sqrt(1+3cosx)

which is not even close to the original f'(x) she posted...

can anyone show me how she got that answer? thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: ?? I don't understand this answer

The derivative df/dx of f(x) at x= a is, by definition
    [tex]\lim_{h\righrarrow 0}\frac{f(a+h)- f(a)}{h}[/tex]

You are asked to find a function f and number a such that
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sqrt{1+ 3cos(x)}- 2}{2x}= f'(a)[/itex]

Compare that to the definition of the derivative. If you replace the x with h then you have
    [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sqrt{1+ 3cos(h)}- 2}{2h}= f'(a)[/itex]
    [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{(1/2)\sqrt{1+ 3cos(h)}- 1}{h}= f'(a)[/itex]

Since [itex](1/2)\sqrt{1+ 3cos(0)}= (1/2)\sqrt{4}= 1[/itex], it should be clear that you take f(x) to be [itex]f(x)= (1/2)\sqrt{1+ 3cos(x)}[/itex] and a= 0.
  4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    Re: ?? I don't understand this answer

thanks. wow. I can't believe I didn't see that. gah. I did so poorly on that quiz. I don't know what happened. I was getting 80's and 90's, and on this quiz this morning I failed... and miserably. the whole thing was just a staring contest between me and the page. It's like I woke up 50% dumber today. I felt like writing an apology at the beginning to whoever marks it. This quiz is going to bring my overall mark down by 5%. bah. :cry:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?