Learn to Find Derivatives: f(x) = 3cosx - (sinx/4) | Quotient Rule Explained

• Thread starter physics=world
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the derivative of the function f(x) = 3cosx - ((sinx)/(4)). The student first attempts to use the sum rule and quotient rule, but ends up with an incorrect answer. They are reminded to also consider simpler rules, such as the sum and constant multiple rules, and to avoid using the quotient rule if the denominator is a constant to minimize the chances of making an error.
physics=world
1. f(x) = 3cosx - ((sinx)/(4))

Homework Equations

use the rules of differentiation3. i tried adding them together which i got

((12cosx - sinx) / (4))

then, i used quotient rule

((4)(-12sinx - cosx) - (12cosx - sinx)(0))/ (4^2)

which i got this for an answer

(-12sinx - cosx) /( 4)but the answer is
(-3sinx - cosx) /( 4)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
physics=world said:
1. f(x) = 3cosx - ((sinx)/(4))

Homework Equations

use the rules of differentiation

3. i tried adding them together which i got

((12cosx - sinx) / (4))

then, i used quotient rule

((4)(-12sinx - cosx) - (12cosx - sinx)(0))/ (4^2)

which i got this for an answer

(-12sinx - cosx) /( 4)

but the answer is
(-3sinx - cosx) /( 4)
Neither of these is correct, assuming that the problem is as you posted.

If you are learning the quotient rule, you should also have learned some simpler rules, such as the sum rule and the constant multiple rule.

As a matter of course, you should never use the quotient rule if the denominator is a constant. It's not wrong to do so, but since the quotient rule is a bit on the complicated side, there is a greater chance of getting the derivative wrong due to an error of some sort.

Mark44 said:
Neither of these is correct, assuming that the problem is as you posted.

If you are learning the quotient rule, you should also have learned some simpler rules, such as the sum rule and the constant multiple rule.

As a matter of course, you should never use the quotient rule if the denominator is a constant. It's not wrong to do so, but since the quotient rule is a bit on the complicated side, there is a greater chance of getting the derivative wrong due to an error of some sort.

ohh. thanks i see what i did wrong.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It represents the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on the graph of the function.

2. Why do we need to find derivatives?

Finding derivatives is important in many areas of science and technology. It allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. It is also used to solve optimization problems and model real-world phenomena.

3. How do you find a derivative?

The process of finding a derivative involves using specific rules and formulas depending on the type of function. For example, the derivative of a polynomial function is found by using the power rule, while the derivative of a trigonometric function is found using the chain rule. Calculating derivatives requires a solid understanding of algebra and basic calculus concepts.

4. Can you provide an example of finding a derivative?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 2x. To find its derivative, we first apply the power rule by bringing down the exponent and subtracting 1 from it, giving us f'(x) = 6x + 2. This is the general formula for the derivative of any polynomial function. To find the derivative at a specific point, we plug in the value of x into the formula. For example, if we want to find the derivative of f(x) at x = 2, we substitute 2 for x in the formula and get f'(2) = 14.

5. Are there any resources available to help with finding derivatives?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with finding derivatives. Online tutorials, textbooks, and educational websites offer step-by-step explanations and practice problems. There are also software programs and calculators that can calculate derivatives for you. Additionally, seeking help from a math tutor or attending a calculus class can also be beneficial.