Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I feel like a loser

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Having just read Barak Obama's proclamation on National Information Literacy Awareness Month, 2009, I feel like a total loser. I've been completely illiterate when it came to knowing there was any such thing as National Information Literacy Awareness Month. Worse yet, I didn't even find out it existed until it was already over (National Information Literacy Awareness Month is in October).

Other signs that I've fallen way short when it comes to information literacy:

October was National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Not only did I not increase my awareness about Domestic Violence, I wasn't even aware that there was a special month for it.

I failed to realize that October 11 through October 17, 2009 was National School Lunch Week. Not only did I not give a single young American a wholesome, nutritious lunch, I don't think I even ate one myself. I feel pathetic (and kind of hungry).

Missing General Pulaski Memorial Day really bugs me. At first I thought it was in honor of Ed Pulaski, inventor of the Pulaski firefighting tool and a forest ranger that saved 45 people during disastorous Idaho forest fires in 1910. Then I found out it was really about some general from the Revolutionary War. Now I feel bad, both for my ignorance and for Ed Pulaski, who certainly deserves a memorial day of his own.

And I missed Leif Erickson Day and White Cane Safety Day (but at least I managed to stop before running over that guy with a white cane - that would have been some bitter irony).

I really wish someone would have let me know it was National Forest Products Week - I could have used more pencils and paper that week. They should have National Plastics Products Week the same week. Then you could combine usage by shooting wads of forest products out of a tubular plastics product. Or are we supposed to reduce usage of forest products that week to conserve them. Once again, I'm just illiterate when it comes to October causes.

And how could miss Count Chocula's week. I really wanted to see him count. Or is it some other national character that counts that week. Geez, I wish I knew those kind of things.

I'm glad the NFL wore pink last month (well, not really - in fact, it was a little weird) or I would have completely missed National Breast Awareness Month.

And Declaration of a National Emergency With Respect to the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic? What kind of a holiday is that?! Oh, wait :uhh:. I guess some of those proclamations are for important things other than holidays.

Presidential Proclamations for 2009

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2
  4. Nov 4, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Bob. My awareness is now raised.

5. Nov 4, 2009 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some of those are unofficial, but still a cool page.

Today is National Chicken Lady Day!

One of her keynote topics was "How to Speak Locally and Get Laid". Wait, I misread that. What does getting "Paid" have to do with chickens? In fact, why would a chicken lady be associated with public speaking?

6. Nov 4, 2009 #5
    Oh and before I forget, a very happy unbirthday today too, Bob

7. Nov 4, 2009 #6
    Best thread in a long time.

I did learn that today is "Perigean Spring Tides (November 4)" which is important to me since my yard (and garage) flood when the tides are high and there is a strong northeast wind. The wind is only 8 mph right now out of the NE so I should be ok (depends on how high the tide is however).

8. Nov 4, 2009 #7
    Are you illiterate, ignorant, or uninformed?

Anyway, I think that you have to think very highly about your event in order to claim an entire month for your cause. Could you imagine what would happen if you created a law allowing only one publicly announced "day","week", or "month", per event. It would create chaos, maybe even wars.

Now if you'll excuse me I am celebrating this day in 1825 when the Erie Canal was completed. You celebrate by web surfing during your lunch break.

9. Nov 4, 2009 #8
    Damn, we all missed cliche' day. That would have been fun.

On the 11th we have Vox Populi day. Every one ought to pile in to P&WA that day.

10. Nov 4, 2009 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have some tater tots, Bob. You'll feel better.

There are so many holidays to enjoy this month:
    http://holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/november.htm

Gotta love November..

Aviation History Month
    Child Safety Protection Month
    International Drum Month
    National Adoption Awareness Month
    National Epilepsy Month
    National Model Railroad Month
    Native American Heritage Month
    Peanut Butter Lovers Month
    Real Jewelry Month
    National Sleep Comfort Month
    Send MIH Chocolate Month

I'm especially looking forward to National Indian Pudding Day on the 13th and Absurdity Day on the 20th.

11. Nov 4, 2009 #10
    Is there a PO Box to send it to? or could I maybe just buy you a chocolate martini?

12. Nov 4, 2009 #11
    :rofl:

13. Nov 5, 2009 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've always wanted to try a chocolate martini. I think it would either be really good or really bad.

14. Nov 5, 2009 #13
    Geophysics got a whole year when I was a kid.

15. Nov 5, 2009 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I hope that I need not remind you Americans that since 1964, October the 15th has been your White Cane Safety Day?

Here is your president's orders to you on that day:

" I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs."

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=86771

16. Nov 5, 2009 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My wife has recently discvered them. And looooooves them. I don't mind em either.

17. Nov 5, 2009 #16
    I wonder what is appropriate... run up and give anyone with a white cane a random big hug?

18. Nov 5, 2009 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone remember when there was only one cause per month?

19. Nov 5, 2009 #18
    I've tried one. They are sort of syrupy sweet but strong and with a bite*. If you like Amaretto and liquors like that you might like a chocolate martini.

*like I like my women ;-p

20. Nov 5, 2009 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't help but think those two really don't belong in the same month. It's a bit hard to sleep comfortably with all that drumming going on. (I am working on the sleep comfort part though.)

:rofl: I missed that the first time!

21. Nov 6, 2009 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but remember that months are based on the Moon's orbit. The Moon is slowly moving further away from the Earth, making each orbit, and each month longer. We can fit more causes in a month now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook