I had an Idea that wasn't as impressive as I thought it was, Comments?

• Other
  • Thread starter phoenix95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of having an idea that does not work out and seeking advice from experienced individuals. The participants share their own experiences of having unsuccessful ideas and offer advice on how to handle these situations. They emphasize the importance of staying creative and learning from each failure, as well as thoroughly evaluating and testing new ideas before pursuing them.
phoenix95
Gold Member
While doing homework about a week ago, I had an idea to solve a problem that was arguably better than the conventional method. It involved a slightly different look at math objects, resulting in a much simpler calculation. As far as I know, I haven't seen any textbook or paper that uses this method. I was playing with these objects and went on a goose chase. I thought I had "some implications that change the way we see the world" :doh: . But it obviously wasn't.

This is probably my first experience of having a not so impressive idea. But I want to ask you veterans out there. Is this common? Did this ever happen to you? How to respond when an idea fails?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Generally in research, you will have many many many ideas that do not pan out.

Likes phoenix95 and berkeman
phoenix95 said:
This is probably my first experience of having a not so impressive idea. But I want to ask you veterans out there. Is this common? Did this ever happen to you? How to respond when an idea fails?
You did the right things. You were keeping creative thoughts in mind even when doing your daily work, and you were able to quickly eliminate the incorrect idea before it became a big distraction :smile: or an obsession.

When working on each of my patents, I've literally had more than a dozen ideas for each that I explored, and some took longer to eliminate than the others. The good thing is to learn from each false start what the basic problem was, so that you can avoid that issue when you have your next idea on the problem. Eventually, you get to the aha! moment, when all of your previous objections are eliminated, and you have a viable solution/patent/paper. One of my best patent ideas came to me in a Jacuzzi early in a morning after a swimming workout, but only because I'd been working on it for months and had rejected a dozen other ideas as incorrect. That patent made good money for my employer at the time. :smile:

Hang in there and stay creative!

Likes jrmichler and phoenix95
I'm definitely no veteran, but I like to try a lot of things; a lot of times it doesn't work out although the scarce few times it does work are golden.

Likes phoenix95
Many people can come up with a new idea. Successful inventors and researchers quickly learn that the very first thing to do is to try to shoot it down. Check against the laws of physics, do a patent and prior art search, triple check against the requirements, estimate cost, establish that it can be manufactured, etc. The majority of new ideas get shot down before getting very far. Certainly, most of my ideas were shot down. By me, sometimes by others.

You have shown that you are a creative thinker. Keep it up. Sooner or later, one of your ideas will succeed.

Likes phoenix95 and berkeman

1. What is the importance of sharing my idea with others?

Sharing your ideas with others can help you get valuable feedback and perspectives that you may not have considered. It can also open up opportunities for collaboration and improvement of your idea.

2. How can I handle negative comments about my idea?

It's important to remember that not everyone will agree with or like your idea. Instead of getting defensive, try to listen to the criticism and use it as an opportunity to improve your idea. Also, keep in mind that negative comments are often subjective and may not accurately reflect the potential of your idea.

3. Should I be discouraged if my idea isn't as impressive as I thought?

No, it's completely normal for ideas to not turn out as impressive as we initially thought. This is a part of the creative process and can actually lead to better ideas in the future. Use this experience as a learning opportunity and keep exploring new ideas.

4. How can I make my idea more impressive?

There are several ways to make your idea more impressive, such as conducting research and gathering data to support your idea, seeking feedback and incorporating suggestions, and continuously refining and improving your idea. It's also important to have confidence in your idea and present it with enthusiasm.

5. Is it okay to have ideas that are not impressive?

Yes, it's perfectly normal to have ideas that may not be as impressive as others. The important thing is to keep coming up with ideas and not be discouraged by any that may not be as successful. Every idea is a learning experience and can lead to better ideas in the future.