1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a problem

1. Jan 8, 2005 #1
    [tex] x_{n}+px_{n-1} [/tex] converges [tex]\Leftrightarrow x_{n}[/tex] converges.
    For which p it is true?

Thanks
    Final

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2
    "Xn converges -> Xn + pXn-1 converges" is always true.
    "Xn + pXn-1 converges -> Xn converges" is true if |p| < 1

4. Jan 9, 2005 #3

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I'm guessing there are two series. The first being [tex]x_{n}[/tex] and the second being defined in terms of the first as: [tex]y_{n}=x_{n}+px_{n-1}[/tex]

Assume [tex]x_{n}[/tex] converges. So there exists a finite L such that:
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} = L[/tex]

To see whether or not [tex]y_{n}[/tex] converges, calculate the limit:
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + px_{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + p \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]= L + pL [/tex]

L+pL exists and it is finite for all p, so [tex]y_{n}[/tex] converges.

So we've shown
    [tex]x_{n}[/tex] converges [tex]\rightarrow x_{n} + px_{n-1}[/tex] converges for all p.

Assume [tex]y_{n}[/tex] converges. So there is a finite M such that:
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + px_{n-1} = M[/tex]

we can rewrite the left side:
    [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + p \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n-1} = M[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + p \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} = M[/tex]

[tex] (1+p) \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} = M[/tex]

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} = M/(1+p)[/tex]

M/(1+p) exists and is finite for all p not equal to -1.

[tex]x_{n} + px_{n-1} [/tex] converges [tex]\rightarrow x_{n} [/tex] converges for all p not equal -1

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  5. Jan 9, 2005 #4
    That's only true if x_n converges, which is what you were trying to prove... ;)

6. Jan 9, 2005 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Example where yn series converges and xn does not is as follows: xn =1 for even n and -1 for odd n, for p =1, all yn =0, while the xn series oscillates between 1 and 0 (assuming start with n=0).

7. Jan 9, 2005 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

:blushing:

Yes, you're right. All I did was show that if the limit exists then it is M/(p+1) and that the limit does not exist for p=-1. But I did not show where the limit does exist.

Anyway, please ignore my solution... Only look if you want to know how NOT to do calculus!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  8. Jan 10, 2005 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is easy to construct an example for any p, where |p|<=1.
    Let xn=(-1/p)n. Then the x series diverges or oscillates, while the y series is always 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?