Which p values result in the convergence of the series x_{n}+px_{n-1}?

• Thread starter Final
  • Start date
In summary, the statement "x_{n}+px_{n-1} converges \Leftrightarrow x_{n} converges" is always true. It is also true that "x_{n} converges \rightarrow x_{n}+px_{n-1} converges" for all values of p except -1.
Final
[tex] x_{n}+px_{n-1} [/tex] converges [tex]\Leftrightarrow x_{n}[/tex] converges.
For which p it is true?

Thanks
Final

Physics news on Phys.org
"Xn converges -> Xn + pXn-1 converges" is always true.
"Xn + pXn-1 converges -> Xn converges" is true if |p| < 1

Final said:
[tex] x_{n}+px_{n-1} [/tex] converges [tex]\Leftrightarrow x_{n}[/tex] converges.
For which p it is true?

Thanks
Final

I'm guessing there are two series. The first being [tex]x_{n}[/tex] and the second being defined in terms of the first as: [tex]y_{n}=x_{n}+px_{n-1}[/tex]

Assume [tex]x_{n}[/tex] converges. So there exists a finite L such that:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} = L[/tex]

To see whether or not [tex]y_{n}[/tex] converges, calculate the limit:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + px_{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + p \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n-1}[/tex]

[tex]= L + pL [/tex]

L+pL exists and it is finite for all p, so [tex]y_{n}[/tex] converges.

So we've shown
[tex]x_{n}[/tex] converges [tex]\rightarrow x_{n} + px_{n-1}[/tex] converges for all p.

Assume [tex]y_{n}[/tex] converges. So there is a finite M such that:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + px_{n-1} = M[/tex]

we can rewrite the left side:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + p \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n-1} = M[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + p \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} = M[/tex]

[tex] (1+p) \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} = M[/tex]

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} = M/(1+p)[/tex]

M/(1+p) exists and is finite for all p not equal to -1.

[tex]x_{n} + px_{n-1} [/tex] converges [tex]\rightarrow x_{n} [/tex] converges for all p not equal -1

Last edited:
learningphysics said:

Assume [tex]y_{n}[/tex] converges. So there is a finite M such that:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + px_{n-1} = M[/tex]

we can rewrite the left side:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n} + p \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{n-1} = M[/tex]

That's only true if x_n converges, which is what you were trying to prove... ;)

Example where yn series converges and xn does not is as follows: xn =1 for even n and -1 for odd n, for p =1, all yn =0, while the xn series oscillates between 1 and 0 (assuming start with n=0).

Muzza said:
That's only true if x_n converges, which is what you were trying to prove... ;)

:blushing:

Yes, you're right. All I did was show that if the limit exists then it is M/(p+1) and that the limit does not exist for p=-1. But I did not show where the limit does exist.

Anyway, please ignore my solution... Only look if you want to know how NOT to do calculus!

Last edited:
It is easy to construct an example for any p, where |p|<=1.
Let xn=(-1/p)n. Then the x series diverges or oscillates, while the y series is always 0.

1. What is the scientific method and how can it help me solve my problem?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to problem-solving that involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions. It can help you approach your problem in a logical and organized manner, increasing your chances of finding a solution.

2. How can I identify the root cause of my problem?

To identify the root cause of a problem, you can use techniques such as root cause analysis or the "5 Whys" method. These involve asking a series of questions to dig deeper into the issue and uncover the underlying cause.

3. How can I effectively brainstorm solutions?

Brainstorming involves generating a list of potential solutions to a problem. To do this effectively, it is important to encourage creativity, suspend judgment, and build upon each other's ideas. You can also use techniques such as mind mapping or SWOT analysis to help organize your thoughts.

4. What are some common roadblocks to problem-solving?

Some common roadblocks to problem-solving include biases, lack of information or resources, fear of failure, and a narrow perspective. It is important to be aware of these potential roadblocks and try to overcome them by seeking out diverse perspectives, gathering more information, and being open to new ideas.

5. How can I evaluate the effectiveness of a solution?

To evaluate the effectiveness of a solution, you can use metrics, data analysis, and feedback from others. It is important to establish clear criteria for success and regularly monitor and assess the solution's progress towards achieving those goals. If the solution is not effective, it may be necessary to revise or try a different approach.