I have attached the problem.I know I need to apply the energy

  • Thread starter Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Apply Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
pyroknife
Messages
611
Reaction score
4
I have attached the problem.

I know I need to apply the energy equation:
P1/(gamma1)+V1^2/(2*g)+Z1=P2/(gamma2)+V2^2/(2*g)+Z2+h_t+h_f-h_p+h_m

P=pressure
V=velocity
g=gravity
Z=elevation
h_t=head due to turbine
h_p=head due to pump
The above 2 are 0 since there's no turbine and pump in this problem
h_t=headloss
h_m=minor losses due to bends, valves, etc...

So I must solve for h_t.

This has me confused, isn't h_t=f*L*2*g/d?
where f=friction factor (obtained from mood's chart)
L=length
d=diameter

I don't understand why we are given K values if we don't use them, unless I can't apply the equation h_t=f*L*2*g/d?
 

Attachments

  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org


Headloss for pipe components: hL=k*v2/2g where v = velocity

You need to add the headloss of the pipe components to the headloss of the pipe