1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have just realized that I never saved my college thermodynamics

1. Sep 9, 2012 #1
    I have just realized that I never saved my college thermodynamics textbook. Any recommendations for a good one that includes theory, equation derivations and problems? I would like it to cover all topics including adiabatic systems.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2
    Re: thermodynamics

Hopefully your new text will tell you that 'adiabatic' refers to the process, not the system.

At the level which adiabatic processes are introduced they are usually covered in a general physics text, such as Sears and Zemansky or Resnick and Halliday
    You would need to try an engineering text such as that by Joel for a purely thermodynamics text.

4. Sep 9, 2012 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Sep 9, 2012 #4

I do have the general physics text by Resnick. I've reread that chapter. I wanted something with more detail. Is Joel's text the one used for college thermodynamics courses?

6. Sep 9, 2012 #5

Well Engineering Thermodynamics by Rayner Joel is a well respected first text for (mech) engineers who will go on to build steam and jet engines, refrigeration, heating and ventilating plant and so on. There is much discussion of adiabatic, polytropic and other processes in relatively simple terms, though still useful enough to use steam tables or build something.

A good modern physics degree level text is Basic Thermodynamics by Carrington from Oxford University Press. This introduces Gibbs formulations and the beginnings of Statmech following a good grounding in classical thermo.

7. Sep 9, 2012 #6

You might also try Callen, "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics." It's meant as a text for physics majors back when physics majors studied classical thermodynamics separately from stat. mech. That being said, I find this text to be very useful for and accessible to non-physicists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook