1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have something that doesn't work out for me

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    I'm going to use this theorem of differential analysis: if g(x) is differentiable between a and b, then there is a c for which [tex]\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/tex]=g'(c)

Let f be differentiable twice, and let f(0)=f'(0)=0 and let f''(x)[tex]\geq[/tex]1 for all x>0

choose g(x) as f'(x), a = 0, b = x
    then there is a c so that:
    [tex]\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{f'(x)}{x}[/tex]=f''(c)[tex]\geq[/tex]1 (f''(x) was already bigger then 1)

so f'(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] x (for all x > 0)

now I am going to use the theorem again, saying g(x)=f(x), a = 0, b = x

then there is a c so that:

[tex]\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{f(x)}{x}[/tex]=f'(c)[tex]\geq[/tex]x

so f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] x^2 (for all x>0)

but this isn't true. The function 1/2 x^2 also applies for all those things I wanted the function to be, but is smaller than x^2. Anyone knows what I've been doing wrong? This was an old exam exercise, and it's been troubling me since before the holidays.

Ps. this is the first time I did everything with tech on this site, and it's horrible unclear to me if I entered it allright. Hope it worked. If it doesn't, I hope I'll have enough time to edit a bit before someone reads it ^_^

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here's your error. You proved above that [itex]f'(x)\ge x[/itex]. That does NOT give [itex]f'(c)\ge x[/itex], only [itex]f'(c)\ge c[/itex].

4. Sep 9, 2007 #3
    ah of course. that's great. thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?