I insert in my calculator cos 50x60 = 42.42

  • Thread starter Thread starter luigihs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculator Cos
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
luigihs
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
1) cos 60o = vx0 / 50 => vx0 = 50.cos 60o = ?
2) sin 60o = vy0 / 50 => vy0 = 50.sin 60o = ?
OK so I use my calculator for 1) and I insert in my calculator cos 50x60 = 42.42 but this is not the right answer because the answer is 25 m/s because the answers are in the back of my book.

FOr question number 2) I not 100 % sure but I do the same thing sin 50x60 = 42.42 in this case I get the same answer than in cos, and the answer is 43 m/s so I don't know about this because I got 42.42 so maybe this is right.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


gneill said:
what does your calculator give you for cos(60°) ?

0.5877 ... but then I restart my calculator and I get 0.5
 


luigihs said:
0.5877 ... but then I restart my calculator and I get 0.5

Your calculator was set to treat angles in 'grads' rather than degrees. There are 400 grads in a circle of 360 degrees.
 


gneill said:
Your calculator was set to treat angles in 'grads' rather than degrees. There are 400 grads in a circle of 360 degrees.

But now that I restarted I get in cos 38.567 but I don't get 25 m/s ... and in sin I get now 45.96 and I suppose to get 43 m/s :(
 


luigihs said:
But now that I restarted I get in cos 38.567 but I don't get 25 m/s ... and in sin I get now 45.96 and I suppose to get 43 m/s :(

More finger problems :smile:

You've taken the cosine of 50 degrees and multiplied by 60 rather than take the cosine of 60 degrees and multiply by 50.
 


gneill said:
More finger problems :smile:

You've taken the cosine of 50 degrees and multiplied by 60 rather than take the cosine of 60 degrees and multiply by 50.

YEAHHH! Thanks! :)