I insert in my calculator cos 50x60 = 42.42

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations for finding the initial velocity in the x and y directions, given the angle and distance. The first calculation is incorrect due to using the wrong angle in the cosine function. The second calculation is also incorrect due to using the wrong angle and not converting to the correct units.
luigihs
1) cos 60o = vx0 / 50 => vx0 = 50.cos 60o = ?
2) sin 60o = vy0 / 50 => vy0 = 50.sin 60o = ?
OK so I use my calculator for 1) and I insert in my calculator cos 50x60 = 42.42 but this is not the right answer because the answer is 25 m/s because the answers are in the back of my book.

FOr question number 2) I not 100 % sure but I do the same thing sin 50x60 = 42.42 in this case I get the same answer than in cos, and the answer is 43 m/s so I don't know about this because I got 42.42 so maybe this is right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What does your calculator give you for cos(60°) ?

gneill said:
what does your calculator give you for cos(60°) ?

0.5877 ... but then I restart my calculator and I get 0.5

luigihs said:
0.5877 ... but then I restart my calculator and I get 0.5

Your calculator was set to treat angles in 'grads' rather than degrees. There are 400 grads in a circle of 360 degrees.

gneill said:
Your calculator was set to treat angles in 'grads' rather than degrees. There are 400 grads in a circle of 360 degrees.

But now that I restarted I get in cos 38.567 but I don't get 25 m/s ... and in sin I get now 45.96 and I suppose to get 43 m/s :(

luigihs said:
But now that I restarted I get in cos 38.567 but I don't get 25 m/s ... and in sin I get now 45.96 and I suppose to get 43 m/s :(

More finger problems :smile:

You've taken the cosine of 50 degrees and multiplied by 60 rather than take the cosine of 60 degrees and multiply by 50.

gneill said:
More finger problems :smile:

You've taken the cosine of 50 degrees and multiplied by 60 rather than take the cosine of 60 degrees and multiply by 50.

YEAHHH! Thanks! :)

1. What does "cos" mean in this equation?

"cos" stands for cosine, which is a mathematical function that calculates the ratio of the adjacent side of a right triangle to its hypotenuse. It is commonly used in trigonometry and can also be found on scientific calculators.

2. How do you solve this equation on a calculator?

To solve this equation on a calculator, first make sure it is set to degrees mode. Then, enter "50 x 60 =" to calculate 3000. Finally, press the "cos" button followed by "3000 =" to find the value of 42.42.

3. What does the answer of 42.42 represent?

The answer of 42.42 represents the cosine of 50 multiplied by 60. In other words, it is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle with an angle of 50 degrees.

4. Can this equation be solved without a calculator?

Yes, this equation can be solved without a calculator by using the cosine function on a scientific calculator. However, it would be difficult to solve without any type of calculator or mathematical aid.

5. What are some practical applications of using cosine in equations?

Cosine is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to calculate the magnitude of a vector or the force acting on an object. It is also used in navigation and astronomy to calculate the position of objects in space. Additionally, cosine can be used in everyday life to solve problems involving right triangles, such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two points.