1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just dont get this tangential acceleration problem

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    A car at the Indianapolis-500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to

I can't get very far on this one. I know that tangential acceleration= change in velocity over change in time, but there is no time mentioned. I know it has something to do with radians but I don't remember that from trig.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

What is the entire question?

4. Feb 28, 2007 #3
    OOPS ...sorrry
    here it is
    A car at the Indianapolis-500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to 300 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 200 m.
    Determine the tangential acceleration of the car when it is halfway through the turn, assuming constant tangential acceleration.
    Determine the radial acceleration of the car at this time.
    If the curve were flat, what would the coefficient of static friction have to be between the tires and the roadbed to provide this acceleration with no slipping or skidding?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?