I Keep Getting 2 Different Answers.

• Thread starter jbp890
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the resulting velocity of a plane with a speed of 200 km/h heading due north, affected by a 100 km/h northeast wind. The group is trying to determine the correct angle and value for the resulting velocity, with different approaches and calculations resulting in different answers. Eventually, they come to a consensus that the correct angle is 75.36 degrees and the correct value is approximately 279.80 km/h.
jbp890
I Keep Getting 2 Different Answers. Please Help!

1. Plane has a speed of 200 km/h and heads due north; though, 100 km/h northeast wind blows. what is the resulting velocity of plane w/ respect to ground?

2. I keep getting two different answers (I've approached them 2 different ways). I get 147.36 km/h both times but the angle is different! I either get 118.07 degrees and 75.361 degrees. Can anyone confirm one of them?

3. TO get 118.67, I drew the vectors of (-70.71 and 129.29 km/h ---> also tan(x) = 129.29/70.71 ...For the other angle of 75.361, i had tan(x) = 270.711/70.711... BASICALLY I KEEP DRAWING IT DIFFERENTLY :/ Can anyone tell me which ones right?

Physics news on Phys.org
your this thing "129.29 km/h" seems wrong to me.

I get 270.711

anywyas, how you got 129?

thank you! can anyone else confirm?

I don't understand where your value of -70.71 comes from? Draw your diagram so you have the 200 km/h in a north direction, and the 100km/h in a southwest direction at the end of the north arrow (a northeasterly wind means a wind blowing from the northeast). Then, the other line in this triangle is the resultant. You can find the angle using the cosine rule for triangles. (NB: the actual angle you want will be the angle of the vector from due north measured in a clockwise way)

rootX said:
your this thing "129.29 km/h" seems wrong to me.

I get 270.711

anywyas, how you got 129?

Exactly, i am getting 279.8008km/hr. Take one vector as the plane's velocity and the other vector as the wind's velocity. Now the resultant of this two vectors would be the velocity of the plane w.r.t the ground. And now you can apply the formula as tanx=bsin(theta)/a+bcos(theta).
Here theta is the angle between the two vectors which is 45 and x is the angle which the resultant vector makes with the vector a. Here vector b is the velocity of the plane and vector a is that of wind. Evaluating we get tanx=0.5857. So x is 30.36 this is the angle between the resultant and a. Now a makes an angle of 45 with the positive x axis.So the angle made by the resulatant with the positive x-axis is 75.36
I think that this should be the final answer

1. Why am I getting two different answers for the same question?

There could be several reasons for this. One possible explanation is that you are using different methods or sources to find the answer, and each one is giving you a slightly different result. Another possibility is that the information you are using is outdated or incorrect. It is also possible that there is a mistake in your calculations or interpretation of the data.

2. How do I determine which answer is correct?

The first step is to carefully review your methods and sources to see if there are any discrepancies or errors. If you are still unsure, try reaching out to an expert in the field or conducting further research to verify the information. It may also be helpful to consult multiple sources to see if there is a consensus on the correct answer.

3. Can different opinions or biases affect the answers I receive?

Yes, it is possible for different opinions or biases to influence the answers you receive. This is why it is important to critically evaluate your sources and consider multiple perspectives when conducting research. It may also be helpful to consult with experts or seek out peer-reviewed studies to ensure accuracy and objectivity.

4. Is it common to get two different answers in the scientific community?

Yes, it is not uncommon for there to be varying opinions or interpretations within the scientific community. This is because science is an ever-evolving field and new discoveries and research can lead to differing conclusions. It is important to continue to question and critically evaluate information in order to advance scientific understanding.

5. How can I avoid getting two different answers in the future?

To avoid getting two different answers in the future, it is important to carefully evaluate your sources and methods, seek out multiple perspectives, and constantly question and reassess your understanding. It may also be helpful to consult with experts and stay up-to-date on the latest research in the field.