I keep runing in circles around this optic fiber question....

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the right formulas to solve a question related to fiber optics. The individual has been struggling for hours and is unsure if it is a trick question. They mention not having the necessary variables for the formula, but provide some variables they do have. They also suggest seeking help from a group or professor for understanding the concepts.
Cartman
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hi everyone

I can not seem to get the right formulas to finish this question.
I keep on beating my head against a wall for hours now.
It just feels like I can not get the right formula to help me out...Is this some sort of trick question?

Note if the image does not load here is the link -> http://imgur.com/a/8z7Et

8z7Et

This is what I have.

If I could just get the wavelength( λ ) I could easily get the diameter etc.
But λ = v/f neither if which I have. WHERE v = Normalized Frequency and λ = wavelength.
I can't find a way to get Normalized frequency to just frequency and I also do not know if I can use the function λ = c/f because I don't have c (Velocity of light in vacuum) or f.

This is what I have so far and I have no idea if its of any use.

I am trying to use this function to get the diameter of the core n1; V = ( 2π / λ )(a(NA)); Where a will be the diameter of the core.

c = 2.05^-8 m/s
m = 5000m
θa = 15.3
V = 33.5 normalized frequency
B(Maximum Bandwidth) = 1.5Mhz
Source = 900nm

NA = sin(θa) = 0.2638

n = C / Cs = 300x1-^-6 / 205x10^-6 = 60/41 = 1.463I don't know where to go from here as there is thousands of little formulas but I can't seem to pinpoint even 1 to use.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It has been awhile, since I have taken a fiber optics course, and I have not used it much. I don't remember most of the formulas, but I would like to offer a general suggestion. When I was taking a technical class, especially an advanced course, we would get into groups and study and do homework together. We could check our solutions with one another, and help each other, if one person was having trouble with some concepts.

It sounds like maybe you are having issues with some of the concepts. Even your professor can be helpful to explain something that you are not understanding. Most of them really want to help. This may not help you for this particular situation, but hopefully it will, moving forward.

1. What is an optic fiber?

An optic fiber is a thin, flexible strand of glass or plastic that is used to transmit information in the form of light pulses. It is used in telecommunication networks, internet connections, and medical equipment.

2. How does an optic fiber work?

Optic fibers work by using total internal reflection to guide light along the length of the fiber. Light enters one end of the fiber and bounces off the walls, continuing down the fiber until it reaches the other end. This allows for the transmission of information at high speeds over long distances.

3. What are the benefits of using optic fibers for communication?

Optic fibers offer several advantages over traditional copper wires, including faster data transmission, immunity to electromagnetic interference, and the ability to carry large amounts of information without signal degradation. They are also more lightweight and less prone to damage.

4. How is an optic fiber made?

The process of making an optic fiber involves melting glass or plastic in a furnace and then drawing it into long, thin strands. The fibers are then coated with a protective layer and bundled together to form a cable. This process requires precision and specialized equipment.

5. What are the limitations of optic fibers?

While optic fibers offer many benefits, they do have some limitations. The main limitation is the high cost of installation and maintenance compared to traditional copper wires. Additionally, optic fibers are more fragile and can be damaged by bending or twisting, making them less suitable for certain environments.