Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Knew They Were Smart

1. Jul 17, 2007 #1

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1274983,00.html

They have excellent infiltration skills as evidenced by my "squirrel-proof" bird feeders. I was wondering how long it would take someone to harness that incredible talent pool.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2007 #2
    hehe :smile:

I've heard some weird stories like trying to equip bugs with bugs or miniature cameras, but squirrels?

Still they shoot spies don't they? Or will they trade them with Iranian squirrels caught deep in US territory?

4. Jul 17, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmmm, this makes me wonder about our local squirrels. Could they be moles?

5. Jul 17, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Grrrrooooaaaaaannnnn.

6. Jul 17, 2007 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

Please send more squirrels here for spying since I love them!:!!):!!)

7. Jul 17, 2007 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, no. It's just a big misunderstanding. Bill Murray and a film crew from the upcoming movie "Caddyshack 4 -- Revenge of the Squirrels" were detained briefly at a country club on the border.....

8. Jul 17, 2007 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Au revoir gophaire...

9. Jul 17, 2007 #8
    Damn and Bush spent all of those billions on data mining.

10. Jul 18, 2007 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

They are everywhere and they are nowhere. They are the perfect spies.

11. Jul 18, 2007 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The Sky story reminded me of

Brits deny releasing 'giant man-eating' badgers that target Iraqis
    http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/07/brits-deny-rele.html
    But using squirrels - well that's just plain wicked. :rofl:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  12. Jul 18, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Squirrels are unreliable spies, though. Chipmunks love undercover work, and are very good at keeping an eye on things. I've got two trained, and have a large pool of talent to draw from, as long as there are seeds under the bird-feeders.

[​IMG]

13. Jul 18, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love the photo that goes with the story. :biggrin: But, since as far as I can tell, squirrels do their darnedest to do exactly the opposite of anything you really want them to do, I can't see how they'd be very reliable as spies unless you wanted to know where Iraq's stash of bird feeders was.

turbo, adorable chipmunk photo! Reminds me of the ones I had trained as a kid. I used to sit on the back porch or just inside the door with a row of peanuts placed on my legs, and the chipmunks would happily sit on my lap stuffing their faces (the most fun, though, was to give them one of those peanuts with 3 nuts in it instead of the usual 2, and watch them try to figure out how to stuff it in their cheek, because it would never fit...:rofl:).

14. Jul 18, 2007 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Oooooh, mean!

On Monday, I found an old T-shirt with a pocket and loaded the pocket with seeds, and I got this little girl comfortable with sitting in my pocket, stuffing herself. At the same time, another chipmunk that I had hand-trained, but was too nervous to climb up on me got the idea that she was being left out of a good thing and tried to join in, although this girl was having none of it. As soon as she left to stash her seeds, the other chipmunk was climbing me and eating out of my pocket. It's surprising how much these little critters can learn from example, as opposed to hands-on training. They took turns (enforced by the "queen" chipmunk) until yesterday, when I was able to feed this one nestled in my pocket and feed the other girl with a spare hand. Truce!

15. Jul 18, 2007 #14
    :rofl: :rofl: I love you guys! :rofl:

16. Jul 19, 2007 #15
    iv read of the British MI6 (or is it MI5? the foreign guys, not the domestic ones i mean) who wanted to put a bug in the plumbing of a building and used a mouse who would be lowered down the pipe with a piece of wire X meters long and the bug on the end. the mouse was the best of 3 candidates at taking the first horizontal pipe while being lowered. when the wire reached its maximum length, it dropped the bug off the mouse where it needed to be and the mouse went on to live a long and reproductive life in the building. the other mice candidates would be content with just being lowered down the pipe so they failed the training program and went back to R&D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?