Exploring Solutions for ln() and Negative Values

• Thread starter Alkatran
  • Start date
In summary, when someone says "I know it's wrong but I don't know WHY," they are acknowledging their awareness that their actions or beliefs may contradict their moral code or societal norms, but they are unable to explain the reasoning behind it. This could be due to a lack of understanding, conflicting beliefs, or difficulty in expressing one's thoughts and feelings. Cognitive dissonance can also play a role in this statement, as it refers to the discomfort that arises when a person holds contradictory beliefs or values. While there is ongoing research in fields such as psychology and neuroscience to understand the cognitive processes and neural mechanisms involved in moral decision-making, the exact reasons for this struggle are not fully understood. To overcome this feeling, one can reflect on their
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1/ln(x) = ln(x)^-1 = ln(-x)
ln(-e) = 1/ln(e) = 1/1 = 1

ln() is only defined over positive values, but you can find solutions like so... where's the error.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ln(x)^-1 = ln(-x) is incorrect. You're probably thinking of ln (1/x) = - ln (x)

Your trouble is that

[tex] \ln (-x) \ne (\ln(x))^{-1}) [/tex]
This is the correct way to do it.
[tex] \ln (-x) = \ln(-1 * x) = \ln(-1) + \ln(x) [/tex]

There will be complex solutions to this but none on the Real line.

Thanks, I knew something wasn't right. I should caught on when -x = 1/x :smile:

Related to Exploring Solutions for ln() and Negative Values

What does it mean when someone says "I know it's wrong but I don't know WHY"?

This phrase typically indicates that the person is aware that their actions or beliefs may contradict their moral code or societal norms, but they are unable to articulate the reasoning behind it.

Why do people struggle to explain why something is wrong even though they know it is?

This could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying principles or values that make something right or wrong. It could also be a result of conflicting beliefs or a difficulty in expressing one's thoughts and feelings.

Can cognitive dissonance play a role in this statement?

Yes, cognitive dissonance refers to the discomfort that arises when a person holds contradictory beliefs or values. In this case, the person may know that their actions are wrong, but they may also hold beliefs that justify their behavior, leading to a state of cognitive dissonance.

Is there a scientific explanation for why someone may feel this way?

There is ongoing research in fields such as psychology and neuroscience that aims to understand the cognitive processes and neural mechanisms involved in moral decision-making. However, the exact reasons for why someone may struggle to explain why something is wrong are still not fully understood.

How can someone overcome this feeling of knowing something is wrong but not knowing why?

One approach is to reflect on one's values and beliefs and try to understand the reasons behind them. Seeking guidance from a trusted friend or professional can also help in gaining clarity and understanding. Additionally, educating oneself on the topic can provide a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of morality.