I meant pounds, not Newtons. Oops

• Thread starter flatmaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newtons
In summary, the attempt to convert the US to the metric system has failed, but it may still happen in the future. The failure to convert units has resulted in historic failures such as the Mars polar lander and the Gimli Glider incident. However, the conversion process is going slowly and may take another 100 years to fully implement.
flatmaster
The attempt to convert the US to the metric system failed. We know the Mars polar lander had a historic failure as a result of failing to convert units. Has anyone out there had something go wrong resulting from communicating the wrong units?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, on our first date I told W that I had 7... she didn't realize until it was too late that I meant centimetres. :redface:

ifin God wanted the Metric system, He would have had only 10 Apostles

" The attempt to convert the US to the metric system failed."

I'm not sure that we should say that the attempt is over yet. It is just going very, very slowly. I thought that it would happen within my life time, but now I no longer expect it to turn out that way. I still think it will happen, it just may take another 100 years or so.

My company still uses US completely. I had to ask why 386.086 kept popping up everywhere.

converting_to_metric.png

http://xkcd.com/license.html

flatmaster said:
The attempt to convert the US to the metric system failed. We know the Mars polar lander had a historic failure as a result of failing to convert units. Has anyone out there had something go wrong resulting from communicating the wrong units?

I wasn't involved but it was a contributing factor in the Gimli Glider incident.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

1. What is the difference between pounds and Newtons?

Pounds and Newtons are both units of measurement for force. However, they measure force in different systems. Pounds are used in the imperial system, while Newtons are used in the metric system. One pound is equivalent to 4.448 Newtons.

2. Why is it important to clarify between pounds and Newtons?

It is important to clarify between pounds and Newtons because using the wrong unit of measurement can lead to incorrect calculations and results. This is especially important in scientific experiments where accuracy is crucial.

3. Can pounds and Newtons be converted to each other?

Yes, pounds and Newtons can be converted to each other using the conversion factor of 1 pound = 4.448 Newtons. This means that to convert from pounds to Newtons, you would multiply the number of pounds by 4.448. And to convert from Newtons to pounds, you would divide the number of Newtons by 4.448.

4. Are pounds and Newtons used for the same types of measurements?

Yes, pounds and Newtons are both used to measure force. However, they are often used in different contexts. Pounds are commonly used in everyday life for measuring weight, while Newtons are more commonly used in scientific and engineering applications.

5. How can I prevent confusion between pounds and Newtons in the future?

To prevent confusion between pounds and Newtons, it is important to be familiar with the different systems of measurement and their units. It can also be helpful to use unit conversion tools or double check your calculations with a colleague. Additionally, clearly labeling units of measurement in any written or spoken communication can help avoid misunderstandings.