Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I meant pounds, not newtons. Oops

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    The attempt to convert the US to the metric system failed. We know the mars polar lander had a historic failure as a result of failing to convert units. Has anyone out there had something go wrong resulting from communicating the wrong units?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Well, on our first date I told W that I had 7... she didn't realize until it was too late that I meant centimetres. :redface:

4. Jan 6, 2009 #3

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

ifin God wanted the Metric system, He would have had only 10 Apostles

5. Jan 14, 2009 #4
    " The attempt to convert the US to the metric system failed."

I'm not sure that we should say that the attempt is over yet. It is just going very, very slowly. I thought that it would happen within my life time, but now I no longer expect it to turn out that way. I still think it will happen, it just may take another 100 years or so.

6. Jan 14, 2009 #5

minger

Science Advisor

My company still uses US completely. I had to ask why 386.086 kept popping up everywhere.

7. Jan 14, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Jan 14, 2009 #7
    I wasn't involved but it was a contributing factor in the Gimli Glider incident.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?