I need a bit of direction....thermodynamics & kilns

In summary, the individual is looking for equations that can help estimate time to heat and object in an oven with available power and insulation. They are also looking for equations that can be changed to fit their specific design parameters.
Wilson Bailey
I'm trying to build a heat treating oven/kiln and I'm having a difficult time identifying equations to assist in sizing and insulation.

I have info on sizing a heating element based on available power and I have and equation to quantify heat transfer through the walls and insulation but I'm having a hard time finding equations that i can use to estimate time to heat and object in the oven with available power and insulation.

I need to be able to change variables (insulation, heating element, chamber size etc. ) in a equation (or equations) so i can have the best design possible before I start purchasing materials.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Science news on Phys.org
Wilson Bailey said:
I'm trying to build a heat treating oven/kiln and I'm having a difficult time identifying equations to assist in sizing and insulation.

I have info on sizing a heating element based on available power and I have and equation to quantify heat transfer through the walls and insulation but I'm having a hard time finding equations that i can use to estimate time to heat and object in the oven with available power and insulation.

I need to be able to change variables (insulation, heating element, chamber size etc. ) in a equation (or equations) so i can have the best design possible before I start purchasing materials.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Welcome to the PF.:smile:

Can you just look at the commercially-available units to get an idea of the powers, temperatures and volumes that are typical? Then just choose your design parameters based on those standard designs? Is there something special that you need from your kiln that is not available in a standard size unit?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.:smile:

Can you just look at the commercially-available units to get an idea of the powers, temperatures and volumes that are typical? Then just choose your design parameters based on those standard designs? Is there something special that you need from your kiln that is not available in a standard size unit?
Thanks!

I don't need anything "special" except for something affordable; commercial units are more than i can justify spending on a hobby. I have seen a recommendation of at least 5000 W per Cu Ft. I can probably just use that.

My only other question would be:

Will heat continue to accumulate in a given space if the heat in is greater than the heat out?

Thanks again!

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to kilns?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the transfer of energy in systems. In the context of kilns, it refers to the study of how heat and temperature affect the materials inside the kiln and how they change over time.

2. How does temperature affect the firing process in a kiln?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the firing process of a kiln. Different materials have different melting points, so the temperature must be carefully controlled to ensure that the materials reach their desired state. Additionally, temperature affects the chemical reactions that occur between materials, which can greatly impact the final product.

3. What are the different types of kilns and how do they differ in terms of thermodynamics?

There are several types of kilns, including electric, gas, and wood-fired. These differ in the way they generate heat and the distribution of that heat within the kiln. For example, electric kilns use heating elements to generate heat, while gas and wood-fired kilns rely on combustion. These differences in heat generation and distribution can affect the thermodynamics of the firing process.

4. How can I improve the efficiency of my kiln in terms of thermodynamics?

One way to improve the efficiency of a kiln is to insulate it properly. This helps to reduce heat loss and allows for more precise control of the temperature. Another way is to use a kiln design that promotes good airflow, which can help to evenly distribute the heat and prevent hot spots.

5. How can I learn more about the thermodynamics of kilns?

There are many resources available for learning more about the thermodynamics of kilns. You can start by researching online or reading books on the subject. Additionally, taking a class or workshop on kiln operation and maintenance can provide hands-on experience and a deeper understanding of the thermodynamics involved.