I need data from the Cavendish Experiment

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding data for the Cavendish experiment and deriving the equation for G. The speaker is struggling to find accurate data and is seeking help. They also mention simulating data for the presentation and explain that the physics behind the experiment is similar to a damped mass on a spring.
therohboat
Hi guys

I am doing a presentation on the cavendish experiment. But to show how it is done, I not only need to conceptually explain how it was done I need numbers so I can run it through equations so I can show the end result.

I have scoured the internet for data table without any success. Is there anywhere where I can find some data for Cavendish's experiment?

Also, in Cavendish's experiment, is it correct in deriving the equation for G by saying:

Torque = Torsion constant x Theta
Torque = Force x Radius

Therefore, torsion constant x theta = force x radius.

Then, force = (torsion constant x theta) / radius

Then, force = Newton's Law of Gravitation

Therefore, (torsion constant x theta) / radius = Newton's Law of Gravitation

Then, torsion constant = (Newton's Law of Gravitation x radius) / (distance between two objects ^2) x Theta

The next big chunk is

Period = (2 x pi) x (( Moment of Intertia / Torsion Constant) ^-1)

And moment of inertia is 2m(L/2)^2

So Period = (2 x pi) x (( 2m(L/2)^2 / (Newton's Law of Gravitation x radius) / (distance between two objects ^2) x Theta

If you're still reading, and I haven't lost you I got

Gravitational Constant = ((4 x pi^2) x 2m(l/2)^2) / ((Period ^2) x radius (M x m / distance between two objects^2) x theta)

For F*ck's sake, my goodness

Well please help me out. I will be eternly grateful

Physics news on Phys.org
I need numbers so I can run it through equations so I can show the end result.
Since it is only a presentation you can run the whole thing backwards (work out what the data would look like knowing G and how it's done - randomize it slightly to simulate measurement uncertainties.)

The physics is basically for a damped mass on a spring.

What is the Cavendish Experiment and why is it important?

The Cavendish Experiment, also known as the Cavendish torsion balance, was an experiment conducted in the late 18th century by British scientist Henry Cavendish. It aimed to accurately measure the gravitational constant, G, which is a fundamental constant in physics that determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. This experiment is important because it provided one of the first accurate measurements of G and helped to confirm Isaac Newton's theory of universal gravitation.

What data does the Cavendish Experiment provide?

The Cavendish Experiment provides data on the gravitational constant, G, which is a fundamental constant in physics. It also provides data on the mass and density of the Earth, as well as the density of the Earth's crust. Additionally, the experiment can be used to measure the gravitational force between any two objects and can provide data on the density and mass of those objects.

How was the Cavendish Experiment conducted?

The Cavendish Experiment was conducted by suspending two small lead spheres from a horizontal beam using a thin wire. The beam and spheres were then enclosed in a larger case to isolate them from external forces. Two larger lead spheres were placed near the smaller ones, causing a slight gravitational attraction between them. By measuring the deflection of the beam due to this attraction, the gravitational constant, G, could be calculated.

What were the results of the Cavendish Experiment?

The results of the Cavendish Experiment were groundbreaking at the time, providing one of the first accurate measurements of the gravitational constant, G. The experiment also provided data on the mass and density of the Earth, which helped to confirm Newton's theory of universal gravitation. These results have been replicated and refined by other experiments and are still used in modern physics today.

How is the Cavendish Experiment relevant today?

The Cavendish Experiment is still relevant today as it provides one of the most accurate measurements of the gravitational constant, G, which is a fundamental constant in physics. This experiment also helped to confirm Newton's theory of universal gravitation, which is still used in many calculations and equations in modern physics. The principles and techniques used in the Cavendish Experiment are also still used in other experiments and research studies in the field of gravity and gravitation.