Pursuing Astrophysics in The US: Cost, Advantages & College Options

• Schools
  • Thread starter navneet1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a university. If you're talking about top 10, they're all really different in what they're good at, so you should look at each one individually...In summary, the conversation centers around a recent high school graduate who is interested in pursuing a degree in astrophysics in the US. They have achieved a score of 600 in critical reading and 760 in math on their SAT and a 97.5 percentile on the AIEEE in India. They have questions about the advantages of a BS in America over a BE in India, the process for international students, and potential financial aid opportunities. They also discuss the possibility of taking subject tests and retaking the SAT. The
navneet1990
umm...ive just graduated from high school and gave my sat in june...critical reading 600 and math 760 ( its pathetic...i know)

umm...im interested in pursuing something like an astrophysics course.
are there any good universities that i can aim for with my score...i also gave AIEEE(all indian engineering entrance exam) n scored a 97.5percentile on it. so i guess i will be able to get NIT's (national institute of technology) and other good colleges out here.

but i really want to pursue my studies in the US. how do i go about with it?...since i would be an international student i guess cost would be a factor...i want to know what extra leverage or what advantage does a BS in america give over a BE in india?

i guess my high school curriculum was pretty strong...but how do i get all this together n narrow down on a few universities...are there aids or any sort of fee waivers for international students?...i want to know how to put all my stuff together to make it look impressive...any ideas...?

P.S. do you think i shud give those sat subject tests and possible give sat again? would that help?

Physics news on Phys.org
any1?

It's a holiday, we're all out roasting dead animals and blowing things up. :biggrin:

navneet1990 said:
umm...ive just graduated from high school and gave my sat in june...critical reading 600 and math 760 ( its pathetic...i know)

umm...im interested in pursuing something like an astrophysics course.
are there any good universities that i can aim for with my score...i also gave AIEEE(all indian engineering entrance exam) n scored a 97.5percentile on it. so i guess i will be able to get NIT's (national institute of technology) and other good colleges out here.

but i really want to pursue my studies in the US. how do i go about with it?...since i would be an international student i guess cost would be a factor...i want to know what extra leverage or what advantage does a BS in america give over a BE in india?

i guess my high school curriculum was pretty strong...but how do i get all this together n narrow down on a few universities...are there aids or any sort of fee waivers for international students?...i want to know how to put all my stuff together to make it look impressive...any ideas...?

P.S. do you think i shud give those sat subject tests and possible give sat again? would that help?

You'd probably be able to get into a decent place for engineering. You probably also have better knowledge of the subjects you're going to be taking as well. Just apply to multiple schools. However, if you are somehow thinking of getting a Ph.D, undergrad really means nothing in the grand scheme. The international student status will hinder you a bit, but I'm sure you'll do fine. If you really want to do a subject test, go for Physics and the Maths. It all helps.

thank you for your reply!

umm...physics/astrophysics...which one of them is a better choice?...math,physics and astronomy really interest me...but i want to know whether there is a scope for any of these subjects...as in after post graduation...? I am really interested in the theoretical stuff but I've heard that it doesn't fetch many jobs...would i be able to switch over to the more practical and industrial side of it ( if there is any)?...i think if i go to the US for undergrad then the only reason i would like to work after MS would be to payback my loans...so looking at it from that point of view though i really want to pursue my interests i can't turn a blind eye towards the financial realities...ultimately my interest is to pursue research activities...what sort of path do you recommend...? is there any way i can learn more about the courses i want to take and their implications on my future ??...

srry for the long post...
'

engineering...umm...what sort of course in engineering...? will i still be able to pursue my interest in math and physics if i do engineering? what are my grad school options after that?

In undergraduate study, the less you specialize, the better, in my opinion. From an undergraduate degree in honours physics you can further branch out into one of the subfields - astrophysics, astronomy, etc. when you get into graduate school. If engineering appeals to you, you could look into an engineering physics program. In general, it's not too hard to get into a physics graduate program coming from an engineering physics background.

Choppy said:
In general, it's not too hard to get into a physics graduate program coming from an engineering physics background.

He's talking about a theoretical physics PhD: I don't see how it's possible to go from engineering to theoretical physics (unless you're a genius and prepared to put in a lot of extra work). There are just so many students with physics degrees, or even theoretical physics degrees who will want to go into theory research.

1. What is the average cost of pursuing astrophysics in the US?

The cost of pursuing astrophysics in the US can vary depending on the university and program you choose. On average, tuition and fees for a four-year degree in astrophysics can range from $20,000 to $50,000 per year. However, this cost can be significantly reduced through scholarships, grants, and financial aid.

2. What are the advantages of pursuing astrophysics in the US?

The US is home to some of the top universities and research institutions in the world for astrophysics, providing students with access to state-of-the-art facilities and renowned professors. Additionally, the US offers a wide range of opportunities for research, internships, and collaborations with leading scientists in the field.

3. Are there any specific college options for pursuing astrophysics in the US?

Yes, there are many colleges and universities in the US that offer programs in astrophysics, including Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Princeton, and Yale. Some other top options include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), and University of California, Berkeley.

4. What are the qualifications and prerequisites for studying astrophysics in the US?

To study astrophysics in the US, you will need a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Most universities also require applicants to have completed high-level courses in these subjects, along with a strong GPA and standardized test scores (such as the SAT or ACT).

5. What career opportunities are available after completing a degree in astrophysics in the US?

A degree in astrophysics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions at universities and government institutions, data analysis and software development in the private sector, and teaching positions at schools and colleges. Graduates may also pursue further education in graduate school or pursue careers in related fields such as aerospace engineering or astronomy.