1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with integration, !

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1
    I need help with integration, urgent!

Can someone please show me the steps in calculating the indefinite integrals of:

Sin[x]Cos[x]Cos[x]
    and
    e^(Sqrt[x+1])

Please show all the steps, and not just the answer, which I can do on my calculator.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2005 #2
    For the first one, just substitute [itex]u = \cos{x} \Longrightarrow du = -\sin{x} \ dx[/itex].

For the second, substitute [itex]u = \sqrt{x+1} \Longrightarrow du = \frac{dx}{2\sqrt{x+1}} \Longrightarrow 2u \ du = dx[/itex], and then integrate by parts.

4. Apr 2, 2005 #3
    thats exactly what I did, but I can't get the right answer. Could you please do it, i'll give you 10 gmail invites, hehe

5. Apr 2, 2005 #4
    Using the substitutions I posted above,

[tex] \int \sin{x} \cos^2{x} \ dx = -\int u^2 \ du = -\frac{u^3}{3} + C = -\frac{\cos^3{x}}{3} + C[/tex]

and

[tex] \int e^{\sqrt{x+1}} \ dx = 2\int ue^u \ du = 2\left[ue^u - \int e^u \ du\right] = 2\left[ue^u - e^u\right] + C= 2e^u(u-1) + C = 2e^{\sqrt{x+1}}\left(\sqrt{x+1}-1\right) + C[/tex]

6. Apr 2, 2005 #5
    thanks, in the first one, i forgot the sin[x] dissapears, when you integrate, 2nd one still trying myself

7. Apr 2, 2005 #6
    Well, it doesn't dissapear. It's part of the [itex]du[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook