Indefinite Integral Help - Sin[x]Cos[x]Cos[x] & e^(Sqrt[x+1])

• Thread starter huan.conchito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
So it becomes -\int u^2 \ du = -\int (\cos{x})^2 \ dx = -\int \frac{1}{2}(1+\cos{2x}) \ dx = -\frac{x}{2} - \frac{\sin{2x}}{4} + CIn summary, when calculating indefinite integrals of Sin[x]Cos[x]Cos[x] and e^(Sqrt[x+1]), you can use substitutions to simplify the integration process. For Sin[x]Cos[x]Cos[x], substitute u = cos[x] and du = -sin[x] dx, and for e^(Sqrt[x+1]), substitute u = sqrt[x+1] and du = (1
huan.conchito
I need help with integration, urgent!

Can someone please show me the steps in calculating the indefinite integrals of:

Sin[x]Cos[x]Cos[x]
and
e^(Sqrt[x+1])

Please show all the steps, and not just the answer, which I can do on my calculator.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For the first one, just substitute [itex]u = \cos{x} \Longrightarrow du = -\sin{x} \ dx[/itex].

For the second, substitute [itex]u = \sqrt{x+1} \Longrightarrow du = \frac{dx}{2\sqrt{x+1}} \Longrightarrow 2u \ du = dx[/itex], and then integrate by parts.

Last edited:
thats exactly what I did, but I can't get the right answer. Could you please do it, i'll give you 10 gmail invites, hehe

Using the substitutions I posted above,

[tex] \int \sin{x} \cos^2{x} \ dx = -\int u^2 \ du = -\frac{u^3}{3} + C = -\frac{\cos^3{x}}{3} + C[/tex]

and

[tex] \int e^{\sqrt{x+1}} \ dx = 2\int ue^u \ du = 2\left[ue^u - \int e^u \ du\right] = 2\left[ue^u - e^u\right] + C= 2e^u(u-1) + C = 2e^{\sqrt{x+1}}\left(\sqrt{x+1}-1\right) + C[/tex]

Last edited:
thanks, in the first one, i forgot the sin[x] dissapears, when you integrate, 2nd one still trying myself

Well, it doesn't dissapear. It's part of the [itex]du[/itex].

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that involves finding the antiderivative of a function. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the original function when given its derivative.

2. How do I solve indefinite integrals that involve trigonometric functions?

When solving indefinite integrals that involve trigonometric functions, you can use trigonometric identities to simplify the expression and then use basic integration rules to find the antiderivative. In the case of sin[x]cos[x]cos[x], you can use the double angle formula for cosine to simplify the expression.

3. What is the general formula for integrating sin[x]cos[x]cos[x]?

The general formula for integrating sin[x]cos[x]cos[x] is ∫ sin[x]cos[x]cos[x] dx = (1/4) sin^2(2x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

4. How do I solve indefinite integrals that involve exponential functions?

To solve indefinite integrals that involve exponential functions, you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. In the case of e^(Sqrt[x+1]), you can let u = √(x+1) and use the substitution u^2 = x+1 to simplify the expression before integrating.

5. Is there a shortcut or trick for solving indefinite integrals?

There is no specific shortcut or trick for solving indefinite integrals, but practicing and becoming familiar with integration rules and techniques can make the process easier. It is also helpful to be familiar with common trigonometric and exponential identities that can simplify expressions before integrating.