How Do I Apply Kirchhoff's Loop Law to Solve an H-Bridge Circuit Problem?

• Thread starter Baioff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Loop
In summary: The student is attempting to solve a circuit using matrices and substitution. He is facing difficulty with the equations and needs help to complete the task.
Baioff
I am a grade 11 student in Canada. I have an exam in 3 days and i cannot figure out how to solve a cricuit with several loops... i have been told that for this specific cricuit i can use Matricies or Substitution. I don't know anything about Matrices and I am having trouble substituting with three equation and three unknows... i have attached a schematic diagram, it is simalar to a wheatstone bridge and is called an H-bridge. could someone please help me solve this...

Attachments

• H-bridge.bmp
    79.3 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to the homework forums. Baioff, one of the rules here on the PF is that on homework/exam questions like this, you must show us your work in order for us to help you. Tell us what you do know about writing the KCL or KVL equations. If you write out the equations, it's pretty easy for us to give you some hints on how to solve a set of 3 linear equations in 3 unknowns (if that's what results).

Ok srry about that

Homework Statement

circuit attached above... Vt, and all resistances will be given

Homework Equations

Matrix algebra ?

The Attempt at a Solution

well i was shown the following by a physics tutor who was only partially knowlegable on the subject. (resistors labled 1-5 1 being top left 2 top right 3 middle 4 bottom left and 5 bottom right)

0=I2R5+I5R3 - I3R4
0=I4R2+I5R3-I3R4
0=I1R5+I5R3+I6R1 +v

I1=I3+I2
I2+I4+I5
I1=-I5+I6+I4+I5
I3=-I5+I6
I4=I1-I6

then...

I5(R3+R4+R5) =I6R5-I4R5
I5R3=I4R2-I6R1
I5R3=I6(-R5 - R1) -I4R5 - V

I think that's right... but if someone could elaborate on how to decide appon the I number and how they relate to the resistors and possibly an easier way of solving this.

Last edited:
its simple jus assume currents 1 2 3 flowing in threee diff loops
then jus write 3 equations n if a resistor is appearing in 2 circuits take it like
sum of both according to the direction multiplied with resistance which equals voltage
n take net sun of voltages in the loops equal to 0
now for solving the equations u can use matrices or substitution
method which is of ur choice depending on ur ease with the matrices concept

First, it would help if you could label the resistors in your sketch. That would make it easier to follow your equations and then suggest ways to reduce the equations.

In addition, are you required to use the KVL loop equations to solve this problem? If not, I find the KCL node voltage equations much more intuitive to work with.

FAQ: How Do I Apply Kirchhoff's Loop Law to Solve an H-Bridge Circuit Problem?

1. What is Kirchhoff's Loop Law?

Kirchhoff's Loop Law, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of all voltage rises. In other words, the total voltage around a closed loop in a circuit must be zero.

2. Why is Kirchhoff's Loop Law important?

Kirchhoff's Loop Law is important because it helps us analyze and understand complex electrical circuits. It allows us to calculate the voltage drops and rises in different branches of a circuit, which is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

3. How do I apply Kirchhoff's Loop Law?

To apply Kirchhoff's Loop Law, you must first identify all the voltage drops and rises in a closed loop in a circuit. Then, write an equation setting the sum of all the voltage drops equal to the sum of all the voltage rises. Finally, solve the equation to find the unknown values.

4. Can Kirchhoff's Loop Law be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Loop Law can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a series circuit, parallel circuit, or a combination of both. As long as the circuit forms a closed loop, Kirchhoff's Loop Law can be used to analyze it.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Kirchhoff's Loop Law?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Kirchhoff's Loop Law include not considering all the voltage drops and rises in a closed loop, using the wrong signs for the voltage values, and not properly labeling the voltage values in the equation. It is important to carefully analyze the circuit and follow the correct steps to ensure accurate results.