Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need inspiration toshow that one-dimensional subsets of Borel sets in R^2 are Borel

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    Let E in R2 be a Borel Set. Show that all horizontal and vertical sections

{ x : (x, y) in E }, { y : (x, y) in E }

of E are Borel subsets of R.

------------------------------------

I think I'm missing something out. My argument is that E is Borel, so E is formed of finitely many unions, intersections and complements of open sets in R2, each of which has horizontal and vertical sections which are open in R (I have already shown this). Therefore the horizontal and vertical sections of E are formed of countably many unions, intersections and complements of open subsets of R, thus they are Borel.

Am I wrong?
    I have been advised to approach this with a view to showing that the family of subsets of R2 whose horizontal section is a Borel subset of R is a sigma-algebra on R2 containing all the open sets. Which doesnt quite agree with my approach.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted