Show that U(n) / Z(U(n)) = SU(n) / Z(SU(n))?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RickilusSmith
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
RickilusSmith
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Show that U(n) / Z(U(n)) = SU(n) / Z(SU(n))?

Homework Equations



Perhaps the first isomorphism theorem? That is, a group homomorphism ϕ of G onto G gives a 1-to-1 correspondence between G and G/(ker ϕ) that preserves products, that is, G is isomorphic to G/(ker ϕ)

The Attempt at a Solution



I've been able to deduce the center of both U(n) and SU(n).

Z(U(n)) = { e^(i \theta) 1 : \theta \in R}

and

Z(SU(n)) = { e^(i \theta) 1 : e^(n i \theta) = 1}

From here, I've been trying to find a homomorphism with both centers as the kernel to another group. However, I've had no luck. I feel that after I'm able to find the group representation, proving that they are isomorphic, i.e. bijective and injective will be easy.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you can draw as a nice diagram:

[tex]SU(n)/Z(SU(n))\leftarrow SU(n)\rightarrow U(n)\rightarrow U(n)/Z(U(n))[/tex]

and check the properties of the arrows, kernels etc. See if you can add a unique arrow to make it commutative