I once came across a Wikipedia page describing a system where

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Apteronotus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    System Wikipedia
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Apteronotus
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
I once came across a Wikipedia page describing a system where indifferent of the initial starting position, at some final time t=T the system would always reach the same equilibrium position.

Does anyone know what the name of such a system is?

I recall there was an animation of 4 balls each starting at different heights on the same ramp at t=0 and at t=T the balls were always at the same height on the ramp.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Apteronotus! :smile:

I think that's an attractor …

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attractor" :wink:​
 
Last edited by a moderator:


It would have to be an attractor with some kind of damping, otherwise you would get oscillatory motion around the equilibrium point. You could also call it a potential minimum