Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam!

1. Jun 23, 2009 #1
    Not sure if this belongs here, and it probably doesn’t. I just wanted to let all you folks at Physics Forums that I recently found out that I passed the April 2009 FE exam (on my first try). I am a Senior Civil Engineering student at New Mexico State University. Also I would like to thank Physics Forums for all the help that you have given to me. Thanks! :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2009 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats!!!!

4. Jun 23, 2009 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It's quite a relief isn't it? I remember feeling a big weight off my shoulders when I found out too. Congrats.

5. Jun 23, 2009 #4
    Congrats

6. Jun 23, 2009 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Congrats on the FE!!!

What next? Grad school?

7. Jun 23, 2009 #6
    Grad school would be nice, however I feel like I need a break from school. I'm excited to start working. Maybe it will be a good alternative after I get a taste of the realworld.

Thank you all for the congrats.

8. Jun 24, 2009 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That is a good thing. It's something I always recommend. Get experience and then move into grad school where you'll appreciate what you are learning all that much more. Plus you may get the benefit of having your employer pay for it (big $$$).

Just don't wait too long like I did. I waited almost 12 years after undergrad. It was a rocky start to say the least. But it does come back to you.

9. Jun 24, 2009 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Good on ya, Bob. Congratulations for a job well done.

10. Jun 25, 2009 #9

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

Good show!

and best wishes on new career

11. Jun 25, 2009 #10
    Congratulations! Let me ask one question: Where can I find online material of past FE problems. I wanted to use them for my own study.

12. Jun 25, 2009 #11

minger

Science Advisor

My car broke down on my way to the FE exam. The only thing I was thinking of was, "NOOOOOoooo, I can't lose that non-refundable $150!!!"

13. Jun 25, 2009 #12
    Well did you make it to the exam?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  14. Jun 25, 2009 #13
    There are many places to find practice problems that will help you with the FE exam. NCEES (the people who are responsible for making the exam) has practice problems. I would recommend picking up the “FE Supplied-Reference Handbook.” This is the book of equations and charts that is issued to you during the exam, and is the only reference that you are allowed to use.

http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/

Also many engineering colleges offer preparation courses for the FE exam. The engineering program that I am in had one such program. It ran every Thursday from 7PM to 9PM, and I bet you could find a similar class near you.

Personally I bought a review manual from PPI it was called “FE Review Manual (FERM2),” and retails for around $70. http://ppi2pass.com/ppi/PPIShop?ct=FEEXAM [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  15. Jun 25, 2009 #14

minger

Science Advisor

Yea, I got a ride. Luckily the ride to the exam was more precarious than the test itself.

16. Jun 25, 2009 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I concur with this. There's a lot to be said for working (and collecting a salary) and gaining experience, but then giving that up to be a full time student is tough, especially if one is married, and even moreso with children. If one is lucky, then one could do grad school as a part time student. It's doable, but it's also tough on one and one's family.

17. Jun 27, 2009 #16
    Hello bobbarkernar, thank you for your reply and for the link. I am from the other part of the globe, and your above mentioned materials are not easy to acquire in our area. I made an order from the link and I am waiting its arrival. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Jun 27, 2009 #17

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If you are from another part of the globe, why do you care about the FE exam???

19. Jul 7, 2009 #18
    I am expecting somebody will ask me about this. :) I am in teaching profession, and I teach review classes in engineering. My students are preparing for engineering board exams in our country. Part of my job is to research for as many engineering problems as I could. I am pretty sure FE exam is an abundant source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook