I really don't get the substitution rule

In summary, the substitution rule involves finding a new variable, u, to replace the original variable, x, in an integral. This allows for simplification and easier integration. In the given conversation, the substitution u=3x was used to solve the integral of cos(3x). The resulting integral was 1/3 sin(3x), where the 1/3 comes from the substitution of dx. This process can also be applied to more complicated integrals, as demonstrated in the conversation.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I really don't get the substitution rule. This is supposed to be the easiest problem in the homework set: u=3x
[tex]\int {\cos \,3x\,\,dx\,\, = \,\,\int {\cos \,u\,\, = \,\,\sin \,u + C\,\, = \,\,\sin 3x + C} } [/tex]

But the right answer is 1/3 sin(3x). Where did the 1/3 come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at your second integral in here:
[tex]\int {\cos \,3x\,\,dx\,\, = \,\,\int {\cos \,u\,\,dx?\,\, = \,\,\sin \,u + C\,\, = \,\,\sin 3x + C} } [/tex]

with respect to what variable? x?
or, did you mean to have a du in there?

If you meant for a du to be there, what makes you think that du can be substituted for dx? You wrote u=3x. if I take the derivative, with respect to x, I get du/dx = 3. Multiplying both sides by dx (thanks, Leibnitz for that notation), I get du = 3 dx. And from that, dx will be equal to 1/3 du

Actually, I think a "harder" integral will make this easier to see:
[tex]\int {\sec x \sec x \tan xdx [/tex]
Let u = secx
du/dx = secxtanx
du = secxtanxdx

Now, when you substitute, u will take care of the first secx.
But, du will take care of the rest of it: secxtanxdx

I think I did it right, but I still have a question.

[tex]u = 3x,\,\,\,\,\frac{{du}}{{dx}} = \left( {3x} \right)^\prime = 3,\,\,\,\,dx = \frac{{du}}{\begin{array}{l}
3 \\
\\
\end{array}},\,\,\,\,\int {\cos \,3x\,\,dx\,\,} = \,\,\int {\cos \,u\,\,\frac{{du}}{3} = \frac{{\sin u}}{3}} = \frac{{\sin 3x}}{3}[/tex]

So when I integrate, the du simply disappears?

I hate Leibnitz notation. I do not think it is intuitive. I wish in Calc 1 they would have spent a lecture on Leibnitz notation. Rather, they just started using it without describing it.

Last edited:
Yes, the du disappears with the integral sign (as would dx, dy, etc). Kind of like: 4 + 3 = 7, we don't leave the + there.

[tex]\int {\cos \,u\,\,\frac{{du}}{3}[/tex]

At this point you should factor out the constant, 1/3, from the integral:

[tex]\frac{1}{3} \int {\cos \,u\,\,du[/tex]

mattmns said:
...Kind of like: 4 + 3 = 7, we don't leave the + there.

:rofl: Thanks to you, I will never forget that.

Thanks, everyone. :rolleyes: This was so confusing to me until I asked here. I just plowed through the next 10 problems with ease. But I'm stuck on the 11th, so I'm giving up for the night.

Man, that was an easy problem. Think forward of the answer. I guess light years will come up for your mind to catch up.

jermanie said:
Man, that was an easy problem.

It's only easy if you know the answer! When learning, any problem can be difficult if you can't see what to do!

What is the substitution rule?

The substitution rule is a method used in calculus to solve indefinite integrals. It allows for the substitution of a variable in the integrand to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

Why is the substitution rule important?

The substitution rule is important because it allows us to solve more complex integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve without it. It also allows us to find antiderivatives for functions that cannot be integrated using basic integration techniques.

How do I know when to use the substitution rule?

You should use the substitution rule when you encounter integrals that contain a function within a function, or when the integrand contains a variable raised to a power. These types of integrals are often solved using the substitution rule.

What are the steps for using the substitution rule?

The steps for using the substitution rule are as follows: 1) Identify the inner function and let it be equal to a new variable, 2) Find the derivative of the new variable, 3) Substitute the new variable and its derivative into the integral, 4) Solve the new integral, and 5) Substitute the original variable back into the solution.

Can the substitution rule be used for all integrals?

No, the substitution rule cannot be used for all integrals. It is most effective for integrals involving functions within functions or variables raised to a power. Some integrals may require other techniques such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitutions.