Is Diesel Spillage on Car Tires Dangerous?

In summary, if you live somewhere where diesel and gasoline pumps have different size fillers, and you accidentally put diesel in a gas engine, it is not dangerous. However, if you have a flat tire, I recommend taking it to a mechanic for inspection.
Tosh5457
Before I started putting it in the reservoir, some fuel came out to the exterior part of the reservoir, and some of it even spilled on the door and the tire. And that tire is flat, because it loses the pressure in some days, so maybe some diesel fuel even went inside it. Is it dangerous to leave it like that and ride the car?

Sorry for my english, it gets difficult when I have to use technical terms...

Physics news on Phys.org
Tosh,

I assume you live somewhere oversea's and not in the US. Diesel and gas pumps have different size diameter filler's. This is for a reason, so that by mistake you can't put gas in a diesel engine or vice versa. If you tried to put diesel in a gas engine and it spilled everywhere, count yourself lucky, no harm done, other than some spilled diesel and smelly shoes, clothes. This is the case right ?

Rhody...

No getting diesel on your car is not dangerous.

I'm surprised you are worried about that, when you have a tyre that goes flat in a few days.

Priorities.

Refined petroleum fuels can deteriorate the clear coat on a car quickly causing a permanent stain. I recommend a car wash if any got on the paint.

Fix the tire.

rhody said:
Tosh,

I assume you live somewhere oversea's and not in the US. Diesel and gas pumps have different size diameter filler's. This is for a reason, so that by mistake you can't put gas in a diesel engine or vice versa.

Actually, you can easily put gas in the tank of a diesel engine. I've done so many times, while traveling up north, as it helps keep the diesel from gelling. I'm careful not to put more than about 10% in there.

As for the OP - car wash. Better to use the wand and spray it. If you're concerned that diesel got inside the tire somehow, I'd take it to a garage who can remove it and inspect it. You can clean it out yourself with U-wash wand. Just rinse thoroughly in clean water and let dry before having it remounted.

It won't, however, blow up on your. There's neither enough temperature nor pressure in a tire for that to happen with diesel. Gasoline would be a different story!

it's unlikely the tire ever goes completely flat. the seal must be mostly good, or it would never hold air well enough to drive short distances. in any case, it will just leak back out. :)

The diesel will evaporate. Check your tire valve.

There is no diesel on the inside of the tire, getting it inspected is a waste of time.

I would be concerned about diesel getting onto the surface of the tread, in wet conditions the grip can be reduced to just as bad as driving on ice. Can be scrubbed off with soapy water easily. Not a huge problem in cars but if you're on a motorcycle it can be lethal so I'd take a lot of care if you ever ride through a spill on a road / at a station.

oliviajane said:
The diesel will evaporate. Check your tire valve.

In cold weather it won't, not very quickly anyway. If the tire is going flat it is most likely a slow puncture.

Related to Is Diesel Spillage on Car Tires Dangerous?

1. How do I clean up diesel fuel from my car?

Cleaning up diesel fuel from your car can be a difficult and messy process. It is important to act quickly to prevent the fuel from causing damage to your car's interior. First, use a cloth or paper towels to blot up as much of the fuel as possible. Then, mix a solution of equal parts water and white vinegar and use it to scrub the affected area. Finally, sprinkle baking soda over the area and let it sit for a few hours before vacuuming it up.

2. Will spilling diesel fuel damage my car?

Diesel fuel can cause damage to your car's interior if it is not cleaned up promptly. The fuel can stain upholstery and carpeting and cause a strong odor. It can also damage the electrical components of your car if it seeps into them. It is important to clean up the spill as soon as possible to prevent any potential damage.

3. How do I get rid of the smell of diesel fuel from my car?

The smell of diesel fuel can be very strong and unpleasant. To get rid of the smell, you can try using a commercial odor eliminator specifically designed for diesel fuel. You can also try sprinkling baking soda over the affected area and letting it sit for a few hours before vacuuming it up. If the smell persists, you may need to have your car professionally cleaned or detailed.

4. Can I still drive my car after spilling diesel fuel?

If only a small amount of diesel fuel was spilled and you were able to clean it up quickly, it is usually safe to continue driving your car. However, if a large amount of fuel was spilled or if it has seeped into the car's electrical components, it is best to have your car inspected by a professional before driving it again. This will ensure that there is no potential for damage or danger.

5. How can I prevent spilling diesel fuel in my car?

The best way to prevent spilling diesel fuel in your car is to be cautious when refueling. Make sure to use a funnel to avoid any spills and always keep the fuel nozzle in contact with the car's fuel tank to prevent splashing. Additionally, it is important to regularly check the condition of your fuel tank and fuel lines to ensure there are no leaks or cracks that could lead to a spill.