Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I spilled diesel fuel in my car

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    Before I started putting it in the reservoir, some fuel came out to the exterior part of the reservoir, and some of it even spilled on the door and the tire. And that tire is flat, because it loses the pressure in some days, so maybe some diesel fuel even went inside it. Is it dangerous to leave it like that and ride the car?

Sorry for my english, it gets difficult when I have to use technical terms...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2

rhody

Gold Member

Tosh,

I assume you live somewhere oversea's and not in the US. Diesel and gas pumps have different size diameter filler's. This is for a reason, so that by mistake you can't put gas in a diesel engine or vice versa. If you tried to put diesel in a gas engine and it spilled everywhere, count yourself lucky, no harm done, other than some spilled diesel and smelly shoes, clothes. This is the case right ?

Rhody...

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    No getting diesel on your car is not dangerous.

I'm surprised you are worried about that, when you have a tyre that goes flat in a few days.

Priorities.

5. Nov 17, 2011 #4

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Refined petroleum fuels can deteriorate the clear coat on a car quickly causing a permanent stain. I recommend a car wash if any got on the paint.

Fix the tire.

6. Nov 17, 2011 #5
    Actually, you can easily put gas in the tank of a diesel engine. I've done so many times, while travelling up north, as it helps keep the diesel from gelling. I'm careful not to put more than about 10% in there.

As for the OP - car wash. Better to use the wand and spray it. If you're concerned that diesel got inside the tire somehow, I'd take it to a garage who can remove it and inspect it. You can clean it out yourself with U-wash wand. Just rinse thoroughly in clean water and let dry before having it remounted.

It won't, however, blow up on your. There's neither enough temperature nor pressure in a tire for that to happen with diesel. Gasoline would be a different story!

7. Nov 17, 2011 #6
    it's unlikely the tire ever goes completely flat. the seal must be mostly good, or it would never hold air well enough to drive short distances. in any case, it will just leak back out. :)

8. Nov 20, 2011 #7
    The diesel will evaporate. Check your tire valve.

9. Nov 21, 2011 #8
    There is no diesel on the inside of the tire, getting it inspected is a waste of time.

I would be concerned about diesel getting onto the surface of the tread, in wet conditions the grip can be reduced to just as bad as driving on ice. Can be scrubbed off with soapy water easily. Not a huge problem in cars but if you're on a motorcycle it can be lethal so I'd take a lot of care if you ever ride through a spill on a road / at a station.

In cold weather it won't, not very quickly anyway. If the tire is going flat it is most likely a slow puncture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook