I think I may have found a renewable energy source

In summary: The generator is in fact a 3500W generator. Your mistake is to assume that you can use the output of the generator to power the motor, when the output of the generator must also power the motor. You can't lift yourself off the ground by grabbing your hair.
Jamie123
Hello guys so I have this idea of mine which I can't get my head around and I need someone to tell me why it won't work, so let's say you have a fully pressurised tank of air and you blow that pressurised air at a turbine connected to a generator, ovisously the generator will then start to create a voltage and when connected to a battery it will charge it, what if you then use that charge from the battery to spin a motor that spins a piston which then repressurises the tank and it creates a cycle again, and also the pressurised air tank at this point is still got some of it's original pressurised air left inside and it won't get used up so fast, think how long it would take to empty a full can of deodorant, also the generator is a 3000w genarator spinning at 2000RPM and the motor is only 200w also spinning at 2000RPM, and even if you include all the losses such at heat, mechanical movement on friction and even sound, then the generator could be outputting let's say 2500w and that's still enough power there to supply the motor, you know what I mean, thank you guys and I hope someone can help me out here, thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do the calculations and conclude that it doesn't work. You can't lift yourself off the ground by grabbing your hair.

Jamie123 said:
Hello guys so I have this idea of mine which I can't get my head around and I need someone to tell me why it won't work

Violation of conservation of energy. It won't work.

Jamie123 said:
what if you then use that charge from the battery to spin a motor that spins a piston which then repressurises the tank and it creates a cycle again, and also the pressurised air tank at this point is still got some of it's original pressurised air left inside and it won't get used up so fast, think how long it would take to empty a full can of deodorant, also the generator is a 3000w genarator spinning at 2000RPM and the motor is only 200w also spinning at 2000RPM

You cannot simply throw numbers around. You need to do the math to calculate the energy or power in each step of the process and see what you have available for the next step.

Jamie123 said:
even if you include all the losses such at heat, mechanical movement on friction and even sound, then the generator could be outputting let's say 2500w and that's still enough power there to supply the motor

It is not.

Thread locked.

Likes davenn and BvU
I know the thread is already locked, but i'll be more specific about where you went wrong:
Jamie123 said:
...the generator is a 3000w genarator spinning at 2000RPM and the motor is only 200w also spinning at 2000RPM, and even if you include all the losses such at heat, mechanical movement on friction and even sound, then the generator could be outputting let's say 2500w and that's still enough power there to supply the motor...
RPM is totally meaningless here. What you are missing in your energy balance accounting is the very electrical energy you are using and producing! 500W of friction and other losses means the generator requires 3500W of mechanical power to turn it. Quite obviously, a 200W motor does not produce 3500W of mechanical power.

Likes davenn

1. What is a renewable energy source?

A renewable energy source is a source of energy that is naturally replenished, such as solar, wind, hydro, or geothermal energy. These sources are considered renewable because they are continuously available and do not deplete finite resources.

2. How do you know if a potential energy source is renewable?

A potential energy source can be considered renewable if it meets three criteria: it is naturally replenished, it has a minimal impact on the environment, and it is sustainable in the long term. This means that it can be used without depleting or harming the environment.

3. What are the benefits of using renewable energy sources?

The use of renewable energy sources has numerous benefits, including reducing greenhouse gas emissions, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, creating jobs in the renewable energy sector, and promoting energy independence. It also has minimal environmental impacts and can help mitigate climate change.

4. Are there any challenges associated with using renewable energy sources?

While there are many benefits of using renewable energy sources, there are also some challenges. These can include high upfront costs, intermittency (the fact that some sources are not available 24/7), and the need for infrastructure and technology development to support widespread use.

5. How can I help promote the use of renewable energy sources?

There are several ways to promote the use of renewable energy sources, including using them in your own homes or businesses, supporting policies that encourage their use, and educating others about the benefits of renewable energy. You can also invest in renewable energy companies or donate to organizations that promote renewable energy development.