Which Undergraduate Course Should I Choose to Become an Astrophysicist?

• Thread starter sam witwicky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    physics gre
In summary, the conversation is about a 17-year-old who wants to become an astrophysicist and is confused about which degree to pursue in their undergraduate studies. They are considering a BSc in physics or a B.Tech in engineering, and are unsure if the latter will be beneficial for their future in astrophysics. The conversation also touches on the importance of researching potential graduate schools and their requirements, as well as the possibility of pursuing a "plan B" in case their interests change. Ultimately, it is suggested that a BSc in physics would be the most suitable degree for becoming an astrophysicist.
sam witwicky
i want to be an astrophysicst.

currently I am 17 and about to join undergradaduation. I am confused which course to take bsc/btech i know that bsc physics is the best way but it doesn't have much scope as btech does. so I am thinking if it is btech then which is the best course that can get me closest to astronomy ( aerospce or electrical or mechanical ). btw i will do my masters in usa so how will the GRE be for astrophysics if i have a engg degree

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Many of these things will depend on the specific university you do your graduate work at. Picking that university will depend on the kind of work that the profs do, and whether you are interested in that specific kind of thing. If you have not already picked that school, do this. Get yourself to the library and get some magazines like Astronomy Today and similar. Find the issue that shows recent grads and where they went after graduation. Find the schools that send their grads to places you would like to work.

Also, google up the web page of schools with programs you find interesting. Find out what research the profs there do and see what looks like you might find that interesting. Possibly http://arxiv.org/ will be helpful there. Once you have some candidate grad schools, find out what requirements they have, and what they look at for admission. Sometimes their course calendars are on line so you can see admissions and requirements for various programs.

Then you can start to plan what makes sense for you to study in undergrad. For example, maybe the grad school has a language requirement, and maybe you can polish that off in undergrad. Maybe a lot of computer classes will help or maybe not. Probably a lot of calculus will be good. Maybe some undergrad astronomy classes are in order. And so on. Get the course calendar for your school and pick the classes you will take.

Once you know the classes you want, then you pick the degree. Maybe you can't get the astronomy classes in the btech? Maybe you can't do the language classes as a physics undergrad? Depends on your undergrad school. Keep in mind the possibility of filling holes with non-credit classes, though that's pretty severe.

Also, many universities have scholarships that you have to apply for to be considered. Check with your school's guidance people, and the school web site. Check again when you are about to start each semester, and again when you are about to start grad school. New scholarships may have been created. An extra stack of cash is probably very welcome.

When you are about to start second year, do a review of the situation. See if things look like they are on track. You might find you need to swap degree programs. Or you might just need to switch what courses you emphasize.

Before third year you probably want to contact some profs at potential grad schools. Talk to them about whether you will be a good fit and how you could be better. Find out if they will have space for you. Maybe they already have nine people in six places and won't be able to admit you. Also, check with them what scholarships you should apply for.

And keep in mind the possibility of a "plan B." Maybe you decide in two years you are not so keen on astronomy as you thought. Or maybe still love astro but something else you learn about becomes even better. You need to live after university. So pick up classes for breadth. That philosophy class might look pretty wildly off topic, but it may look good to a scholarship committee. And it may be a great conversation starter at the school pub. That computer design class may also look like it's wildly off topic, but might get you the great summer job that pays for your first year in grad school. And so on.

A thread similar to this was just created. A degree in aerospace engineering won't really help you be an astrophysicist, so just go for the BSc in physics.

thnx alot. i got another question if i have a btech degree how will the GRE exam be for astronomy. Do they conduct same exam for engg student and physics student

First of all, congratulations on your interest in becoming an astrophysicist! It is an exciting and challenging field that requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics.

As for your question about which course to take for your undergraduate degree, both BSc and BTech can lead to a career in astrophysics. BSc in physics will provide a more in-depth understanding of the fundamental concepts and theories in astrophysics, while BTech will focus more on the practical application of these concepts.

In terms of which BTech course would be most beneficial for a career in astrophysics, it really depends on your interests and strengths. Aerospace engineering would be a good choice if you are interested in space exploration and spacecraft design. Electrical engineering would be useful for studying and designing instrumentation for telescopes and other equipment used in astrophysics research. Mechanical engineering can also be helpful for designing and building telescopes and other equipment.

As for your plans to pursue a master's degree in the USA, having an engineering degree can be advantageous for admission into a graduate program in astrophysics. However, it is important to also have a strong background in physics and mathematics, as these are the core subjects of astrophysics.

Regarding the GRE, it is important to do well on this exam regardless of your undergraduate degree. The GRE tests your critical thinking, analytical, and quantitative skills, which are all essential for a career in astrophysics. So, regardless of which undergraduate degree you choose, make sure to focus on developing these skills as well.

In summary, both BSc and BTech can lead to a career in astrophysics, and the best course for you will depend on your interests and strengths. Focus on developing a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, as well as critical thinking and analytical skills, to prepare for a successful career in astrophysics. Good luck on your journey!

1. What education and qualifications do I need to become an astrophysicist?

To become an astrophysicist, you will typically need at least a bachelor's degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field. Many astrophysicists also go on to pursue a master's or Ph.D. in astrophysics. In addition to formal education, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, computer science, and research skills.

2. What skills and qualities are necessary for a career in astrophysics?

Some of the key skills and qualities that are important for a career in astrophysics include a strong aptitude for mathematics and problem-solving, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and a passion for learning and discovery. Good communication and teamwork skills are also essential for collaborating with other scientists and presenting research findings.

3. What kind of work can I expect to do as an astrophysicist?

Astrophysicists conduct research, analyze data, and develop theories to help us better understand the universe. This can involve using advanced technology and telescopes to observe and collect data from distant objects in space, as well as developing and testing mathematical models and simulations. Many astrophysicists also teach at universities or work in science communication and outreach.

4. What are some of the challenges and rewards of being an astrophysicist?

One of the challenges of being an astrophysicist is the highly competitive nature of the field, as well as the need for continual learning and keeping up with advancements in technology and research. However, the rewards of being an astrophysicist include the opportunity to make groundbreaking discoveries and contribute to our understanding of the universe, as well as the potential for travel and collaboration with other scientists from around the world.

5. How can I get involved in astrophysics as a student or early career scientist?

There are many ways to get involved in astrophysics as a student or early career scientist. Some options include joining a research team at your university, participating in internships or summer programs, attending conferences and workshops, and volunteering at observatories or with science organizations. It is also important to network with other astrophysicists and seek out mentorship opportunities to help guide your career path.