I want to be physicist, but will I have the future?

In summary: Ph.D. in physics. But I'm not sure if that is the same as what you are trying to say.In summary, an aspiring physicist like yourself may not be able to become a good physicist without obtaining a Ph.D. or some natural talent at explaining physical phenomena mathematically.
ismaelbh
Hello.

First of all, I want to sorry everyone who read this thread. I'm so sorry that I'm not so good in english. I'll try my best to make you guys understand what I try to deliver. Before my age 17 years old, I don't have any interests in physics at all. I do taking class in physics at school but I don't really focus on that. After my age turn 18 years old, I do find something interesting in physics. I do a lot of research on theoretical physics and I decided to be a theoretical physicist one day.

The problem is, my result are not good enough to be able me to majoring physics. Now I'm 19 years old and will be continue my study in Diploma in Electrical Technology.. that's the course that I can get that close to physics. So, do you think someone like me.. who got D in physics will be able to be a good theoretical physicist? I always wonder. Is there any physicist who just like me and turn out to be a good physicist? Let me know if there any..

thank you so much for ur time reading this guys. :) I felt much happier posting this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot something, after I finish my diploma at aged of 22 years old. I think I want to taking BSc Physics for degree. Am I able to take that course with my diploma in electrical technology??

PHYSICS have future.. the problem is that you will be judged only by your Qualifications

i am a physicist myself, but due to my poor qualifications they pay no respect on me, or willl not admit me to any job related to physics.

however you may be lucky enough , i am telling you what happened to me ,

Einstein is noted for a situation somewhat similar to yours. I suggest you read about him.

Most undergraduate physics courses stress problem solving, but there are many physicists as well as mathematicians (..well, maybe not that many) that did ground-breaking physics and math without the traditional schooling. Nowadays though, you have to make your way to a PhD to be taken seriously, and then publications.

Maybe you should consider re-taking the course?

ismaelbh said:
I forgot something, after I finish my diploma at aged of 22 years old. I think I want to taking BSc Physics for degree. Am I able to take that course with my diploma in electrical technology??

In the US I'm pretty sure, some credits may or may not be transferable but you can always get a BSc or BA if you're willing to and have the money. Talk with your advisor about it

I really don't know how it works if someone wants to become a theoretical physicist. My advice is to ask someone who knows about that kind of thing, and make sure to tell them that you are serious about it, even if it means doing a foundation course or something so that you are then able to major in physics. (I'm from UK, so I don't really know how it works over there in America).

woops, looks like I pretty much just repeated what aspiring one said. Oh well

aspiring_one said:
Einstein is noted for a situation somewhat similar to yours. I suggest you read about him.

Most undergraduate physics courses stress problem solving, but there are many physicists as well as mathematicians (..well, maybe not that many) that did ground-breaking physics and math without the traditional schooling. Nowadays though, you have to make your way to a PhD to be taken seriously, and then publications.

Maybe you should consider re-taking the course?

I'm sorry, I don't really get your point here. Are you says that I shouldn't take the diploma in electrical technology? This is the only course that I can enter that closer to physics. Huhu.

Then, what do you mean by you have to make your way to a PhD to be taken seriously, and then publications.

Sorry I don't understand what you try to says because my english is really poor.

All I'm saying is that if you want to go into theoretical physics you need to show that you are capable of doing so. I suggest to go with your current diploma in electrical technology and apply to graduate school. I'm not sure where you are from or what your educational system is like but if you really want to be a theoretical physicist, you must have at least a Ph.D, either that or some natural talent at explaining physical phenomena mathematically

Last edited:
Ohh I see ur point now. Well, I'm from Malaysia. In Malaysia, you have go with the flow. I mean starting with diploma or foundation in science > degree > Master (if u get first class honours you go straight to PhD) > PhD.

I've read about Einstein. He finished his diploma in physics & mathematics at aged of 21 years old. I don't find he doing any degree first but at aged of 26 I guess he got his PhD. Does in Germany from diploma u get futher your studies straight to PhD without bachelor degree or master degree first?

ismaelbh said:
Ohh I see ur point now. Well, I'm from Malaysia. In Malaysia, you have go with the flow. I mean starting with diploma or foundation in science > degree > Master (if u get first class honours you go straight to PhD) > PhD.

Why don't you try mastering in physics? Of course, you would need to find out where you went wrong with your physics course, which is why I suggest you re-take it if you have to. Having interest in a discipline is universal but if you really want to contribute to it, you need to thorough understanding of the material. That goes for anything, not just physics.

:) thanks buddy!

1. Will I be able to find a job as a physicist?

Yes, there is a demand for physicists in various industries, including research, technology, healthcare, and energy. With a degree in physics, you can also pursue careers in engineering, data science, and education.

2. How much will I earn as a physicist?

The salary of a physicist varies depending on the specific field, industry, and location. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists is $122,850 as of May 2020.

3. Do I need a graduate degree to become a physicist?

While a bachelor's degree in physics is typically required for entry-level positions, a graduate degree (master's or Ph.D.) is often necessary for advanced research or teaching positions. It also opens up opportunities for higher salaries and career advancement.

4. Is physics a difficult field of study?

Physics is a complex and challenging subject, but it can also be incredibly rewarding. It requires strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as a curious and creative mind. With dedication and hard work, anyone can excel in physics.

5. What skills do I need to be a successful physicist?

Besides a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, successful physicists possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly. They also need to be persistent, patient, and open-minded in their research and experiments.