Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to build an electronic device that transmits ultrasound

1. Jan 12, 2007 #1
    I want to build an electronic device that transmits ultrasounds (I guess that is in the LF frequency range [?]).

Does anyone know where I can find a kit that creates ultrasounds?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2007 #2
    Or does anyone know where I could find schematics of how to build something like that?

4. Jan 12, 2007 #3
    I guess what I really mean is an Ultrasound Pulse Generator.

5. Jan 12, 2007 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ultrasound is high frequency.

What do you want to do with it?

6. Jan 12, 2007 #5
    To shut a neighbors dog up! Essentially I want to build an electronic dog whistle.

7. Jan 12, 2007 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I googled ultrtasonic transmitter kit, and got lots of hits. Here's the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ultrasonic+transmitter+kit

I'm not sure ultrasound will work for quieting the neighbor's dog, though. There are more conventional ways to do that, including talking to the neighbor. And in the end if nothing else works, at least in the US, there is small claims court where you can keep taking the owner to court and winning judgements against them. Talking to the neighbor to work things out usually works, though.

8. Jan 12, 2007 #7
    Ya, but how fun is that? I really just want to build it.

9. Jan 12, 2007 #8
  10. Jan 12, 2007 #9

berkeman

Nifty little widget. You don't connect an external speaker -- the piezo transducer elements are the silver round things that are included in the kit. That looks like a good starting point.

11. Jan 12, 2007 #10
    i think the neighbours are duff or they should know that the dog is noisy ...so i say u should << suggestion removed by berkeman >> tommorow morning ... isn't better lol...hey i am kiddin ... don't do it

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  12. Jan 12, 2007 #11

berkeman

moe, we don't say things like that here on the PF, even jokingly.

13. Jan 12, 2007 #12
    sorry :( i didn't know

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?