Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I I want to create an ultrasonic generator amplifier w/ MOSFET

1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    Firstly, I'm only a beginner at electronics and most of my knowledge comes from googling things.

I have (several) ultrasonic transducers (100 watt 40 khz) i'd like to drive with my ultrasonic generator (100 watts 40 khz) but I'd like to up the amplitude of my transducers because I want the sound waves to be thick w/ pressure. I'm worried my ultrasonic generator might not produce enough power so I wanted to build an amplifier circuit for it after seeing this video

The guy used 12 n and p channel mosfets in parallel to amplify the signal of his transducer. I know when you connect two mosfets in parallel you raise the gate capacitance, but how does using both N and P channel mosfets fit into the circuit?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Wat'cha going to do with all that ultrasonic power?

4. Sep 27, 2015 #3
    1. hopefully not kill myself
    2. I am trying to build a high-powered ultrasonic nebulizer
    3. I'd also like to use my transducers to do some ultrasonic levitation with some really fine particles

5. Sep 27, 2015 #4
    So after watching this I realize composite transistors must have complementary parts (NP or PN)

which I believe means I can just pair up the pairs (NP)(NP)(NP)(NP)... as many times as I want as long as I have power source capable of feeding the gate capacitance

like the crude diagram below (pretend T1 or T2 corresponds to P or N channels respectively)
    NPmosfets.png

6. Sep 27, 2015 #5

berkeman

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

7. Sep 28, 2015 #6

berkeman

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook