I want to create an ultrasonic generator amplifier w/ MOSFET

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
Strangeline
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Firstly, I'm only a beginner at electronics and most of my knowledge comes from googling things.

I have (several) ultrasonic transducers (100 watt 40 khz) i'd like to drive with my ultrasonic generator (100 watts 40 khz) but I'd like to up the amplitude of my transducers because I want the sound waves to be thick w/ pressure. I'm worried my ultrasonic generator might not produce enough power so I wanted to build an amplifier circuit for it after seeing this video



The guy used 12 n and p channel mosfets in parallel to amplify the signal of his transducer. I know when you connect two mosfets in parallel you raise the gate capacitance, but how does using both N and P channel mosfets fit into the circuit?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Strangeline said:
Firstly, I'm only a beginner at electronics and most of my knowledge comes from googling things.

I have (several) ultrasonic transducers (100 watt 40 khz) i'd like to drive with my ultrasonic generator (100 watts 40 khz) but I'd like to up the amplitude of my transducers because I want the sound waves to be thick w/ pressure. I'm worried my ultrasonic generator might not produce enough power so I wanted to build an amplifier circuit for it after seeing this video



The guy used 12 n and p channel mosfets in parallel to amplify the signal of his transducer. I know when you connect two mosfets in parallel you raise the gate capacitance, but how does using both N and P channel mosfets fit into the circuit?


Wat'cha going to do with all that ultrasonic power?
 
berkeman said:
Wat'cha going to do with all that ultrasonic power?

1. hopefully not kill myself
2. I am trying to build a high-powered ultrasonic nebulizer
3. I'd also like to use my transducers to do some ultrasonic levitation with some really fine particles
 
So after watching this I realize composite transistors must have complementary parts (NP or PN)

which I believe means I can just pair up the pairs (NP)(NP)(NP)(NP)... as many times as I want as long as I have power source capable of feeding the gate capacitance

like the crude diagram below (pretend T1 or T2 corresponds to P or N channels respectively)
NPmosfets.png