I want to design a project about shoes with cooling/heating system

In summary: need to get a small nitrous oxide bottle, hooked wherever, and a temperature gauge to control the flow of nitrous.
dodoshka1991
Hi there! I am an engineering student and I have a project to do. It involves creating a heating/cooling system for our shoes. Well the instructoor asked us to choose a heating cool system so I chose this topic (assuming it would reach some where where I would get a patent for my hard work).
So my design involves adding a thin layer (1cm ) under your shoe and inserting some capilaries through out the shoe's sides in order to take advantage of the capilary action of the liquid I am going to use.

So I have a bulky system to use that is able to change the temperature of the meduim from 0.02 degrees to 100 degree according to the voltage applied and its polarity . I want the range to be between 5 degrees and 40 degrees. I do not know what is the bulky system is because did not do my lab yet but in 3 days I will tell you about it.

So guys, what liquid should I use inorder to have a good system?

Engineering news on Phys.org
dodoshka1991 said:
Hi there! I am an engineering student and I have a project to do. It involves creating a heating/cooling system for our shoes. Well the instructoor asked us to choose a heating cool system so I chose this topic (assuming it would reach some where where I would get a patent for my hard work).
So my design involves adding a thin layer (1cm ) under your shoe and inserting some capilaries through out the shoe's sides in order to take advantage of the capilary action of the liquid I am going to use.

So I have a bulky system to use that is able to change the temperature of the meduim from 0.02 degrees to 100 degree according to the voltage applied and its polarity . I want the range to be between 5 degrees and 40 degrees. I do not know what is the bulky system is because did not do my lab yet but in 3 days I will tell you about it.

Welcome to the PF.

I suggest that you do some research and reading to learn how the astronaut's space suits are heated and cooled. The information should be available online, maybe at NASA's website. They've already identified the best way to do this...

dodoshka1991 said:

What kind of system are you using? If using a compressor and fan I would use freon. Might be a little bulky for your shoes...lol

Perhaps you are just using a water pump and a radiator...I would suggest antifreeze:)

In other words...what kind of system are you using! ?

ok, get a water pump, put it on a backpack full of water. attach aluminum fins to the backpack.
run two tubes (one hot, one cold) down from the backpack into the shoe.
the pump keeps water moving, so it pulls up hot water from your foot, into the backpack, where the heat is dissipated by the aluminum fins.
the cooled water is then pumped through the cold tube, refreshing your feet, and increasing your carbon footprint

@#3 & #4. I don't get it! What is going to be generating such outrageous heat in the shoes, that needs such elegant cooling systems. :rolleyes:

I_am_learning said:
@#3 & #4. I don't get it! What is going to be generating such outrageous heat in the shoes, that needs such elegant cooling systems. :rolleyes:

and why use internal combustion engines to power carts, when horses work just as well?

I got it. How about just a real slow flow of Nitrous oxide thru the capilarries of your shoes. A small nitrous oxide bottle hooked wherever...and a temperature gauge to control the flow of nitrous.

You'll look a little silly with nitrous periodically spraying out of your shoes... Picture running a marathon on a 90 degree hot and humid day...hit the nitrous...boo-wah! Your feet be the coolest of the bunch...advantage team nitrous!

You invent one, I'll buy one, I only need the cooling!:rofl:

I would be very happy if you invent a force air ventilation shoe!

1. How does the cooling/heating system in shoes work?

The cooling/heating system in shoes works by using a small fan or heating element that is powered by a battery. The fan or heating element is placed in the sole of the shoe and is connected to a temperature control system. The temperature control system can be adjusted by the wearer to either cool or heat the shoe.

2. What materials are needed to create a cooling/heating system in shoes?

The materials needed to create a cooling/heating system in shoes include a small fan or heating element, a battery, a temperature control system, and materials for insulation and ventilation. The exact materials may vary depending on the design and functionality of the shoe.

3. How long does the cooling/heating system last in shoes?

The lifespan of the cooling/heating system in shoes will depend on the quality of the materials used and how often the system is used. On average, the battery in the system may last for several months before needing to be replaced. The fan or heating element may also need to be replaced after a certain amount of time.

4. Is it safe to have a cooling/heating system in shoes?

Yes, it is safe to have a cooling/heating system in shoes as long as proper precautions are taken during the design and manufacturing process. The components of the system should be properly insulated and secured to avoid any potential hazards. It is also important to regularly check the system for any malfunctions or wear and tear.

5. Can the cooling/heating system be used in all types of shoes?

The cooling/heating system can be designed to fit in most types of shoes, but the functionality may vary depending on the design of the shoe. It may be more effective in shoes that have a larger sole or more space for insulation and ventilation. The system can also be adjusted to fit different shoe sizes and styles.