I want to live forever: New Scientist

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary: So I think it means old age.In summary, Cynthia Kenyon is a professor at the University of California, San Francisco who believes that we can have both a long life and other things such as health, wealth, and children. She disagrees with the idea that longer life comes at the cost of reduced fertility or a slower metabolism. Her belief was strengthened by a study on a small worm. There may be limitations on how long we can live mentally, as our brains become more rigid with age. Attempts to reverse this may lead to issues like brainwashing. The conversation also touches on the idea that as we age, our minds tend to live in the past rather than looking towards the future.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Cynthia Kenyon thinks we can have it all: health, wealth, hordes of children - and a long life. A very long life. She disagrees with prevailing ideas that we can only live longer by paying a high price in terms of reduced fertility or a sluggish metabolism. What made this professor of biochemistry and biophysics at the University of California, San Francisco, so sure? A little worm. James Kingsland was keen to discover the secret

http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinterview.jsp;jsessionid=HAKLOFHIJBEG?id=ns24171

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I think (i haven't looked for any evidence thus far) there are fundamental restrictions on how old we can live mentally.

Everyone knows as you grow older, your habits begin to cement in the mind, progressively harder and harder to shake off. Nerve connections become more and more permanent. When you listen to the elderly, they constantly recount the past. I think perhaps the biggest side effect of attempting to 'live forever' is that while your body could regenerate indefinitely - your mind would live only in the past.

Sure drugs could attempt to 'reverse' such effects to make the mind flexible again. Such drugs are also known as brain washing drugs. What a catch 22 :smile:

I think elderly live in the past, since it is hard to make new connection in order to live in the future.

I am 70, and I think these last two posts are hilarious. Si la jeunesse sauvait, si la viellesee pouvait.

haha, you are right, I was commenting on jinx.. we both are talking about dementia where short term memory is lost, as we all know, the brain has a certain number of neurons which won't be regenerated when lost. If we want to live forever, we'd have to make sure that nerve connections can be regenerated.

I am not sure what you said there, something like: safe your youth, if life let's you?

Last edited:
Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Si la jeunesse sauvait, si la viellesee pouvait.

If youth knew, if elder could.

It should be "savait" not "sauvait". It is two different word but it sounds the same. :wink:

viellesee is elder? I was thinking la vie :P

vieillesse is from vieux and vieille which means old in the masculin and feminin respectively.

1. What are the current scientific theories on achieving immortality?

There are several theories being explored by scientists, such as cryonics, genetic engineering, and nanotechnology. However, none of these have been proven to be effective in achieving true immortality.

2. Is it possible for humans to achieve immortality in the near future?

While there have been advancements in medical technology and life expectancy has increased, achieving true immortality is highly unlikely in the near future. It is a complex and multifaceted issue that requires further research and ethical considerations.

3. Are there any animals that are considered immortal?

There are certain species, such as the jellyfish Turritopsis dohrnii, that have the ability to regenerate and potentially live forever. However, this does not mean they are immune to death from external factors.

4. What are the potential consequences of achieving immortality?

There are ethical and societal implications to consider, such as overpopulation, resource scarcity, and unequal distribution of immortality. There could also be psychological effects on individuals, such as loss of purpose and fear of eternal life.

5. How is the concept of immortality viewed in different cultures?

Immortality has been a topic of fascination and fear in many cultures throughout history. Some cultures view it as a desirable state, while others see it as a curse. It is also often tied to religious beliefs and interpretations of the afterlife.

Back