Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to replace an AC motor with a DC motor

1. Nov 16, 2016 #1
    Ac motor is 1.12 amp 3000 rpm 60 Hz 1/30 Hp sealed ball bearing. I want to use a 12 V dc motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

You didn't ask any questions; What, exactly, do you need help with?

4. Nov 16, 2016 #3
    That might be harder to find than you think unless things like Minimum torque, same RPM and low current are not important. Just looking at V and I you have 120V and 1.12A or 134W, a 12V motor would need over 11A for the same power. However, you are probably not using it at full load, so it might work, you didn't say enough.

Aside from the mechanical requirements, all you should need is a 12V power supply.

5. Nov 17, 2016 #4

rbelli1

Gold Member

I agree. 11A is nothing to sneeze at but certainly easily manageable. Just watch your wire size and you should be fine.

BoB

6. Nov 20, 2016 #5
    I want to run my rock tumbler with solar panels and a battery bank. I don"t want to use an inverter. I am using 8 awg. wire and the longest run is 35' from the panels to the controller.

7. Nov 20, 2016 #6
    Thank you for the fast response.

8. Nov 20, 2016 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you are going to get significant voltage drop over that length of cable

what will be the loaded output voltage of the panel(s) ? ... and note that the stated panel voltage is usually an open circuit voltage

9. Nov 21, 2016 #8
    I am using 2 160 watt solar panels

10. Nov 21, 2016 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That didn't answer my questions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted