I was wondering if one would classify light as heat, or as light?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter romsofia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Light
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
romsofia
Gold Member
Messages
603
Reaction score
337
I was wondering if one would classify light as heat, or as light?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


They're two different things. Light is electromagnetic radiation and we usually mean electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum when we say 'light'.

Heat is the kinetic energy of matter, which is in equilibrium with radiation, the wavelength of which depends on how hot it is. (i.e. 'thermal radiation' does not correspond to any particular part of the spectrum. It's in the infrared at room temperatures though)
 


romsofia said:
I was wondering if one would classify light as heat, or as light?

One can most definitely classify light as light.