Is Spiderman's Power in Danger? A Discussion on the Latest Movie

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: Harry Osborne as Green Goblin, maybe bring in the Hobgoblin (if they can actually make him cool), Venom, or Carnage (which I figure is just a little too violent for the movie). They could also maybe bring in Kraven the Hunter... or they could bring in Doc Oc's son and figure out a way to bring back Doc Oc himself...In summary, the conversation covers various topics related to the movie Spiderman 2, including the possibility of a third movie and potential villains, Spiderman's abilities and powers, and the financial struggles of some Americans. The conversation also touches on the question of whether Spiderman can have children and how he is able to store and use his web. Overall, the participants
Saint
Overall it is quite a good movie, very touching and thrilling.
It scores 7/10 under my evaluation. :biggrin:

A few questions:
1) I think there will be Spiderman 3, the green goblin will be back, acted by Harry Osborn. Right?
2) Is Spiderman possible to stop the train by his web?
3) Is he possible to marry MJ and have a normal children? Isn't his genetics was changed by radiation?
4) HE seemed losing his power gradually until MJ was abducted by Dr Octopus, why?
5) Is it true that in America, there are people who are so poor that even a 20 dollar is important to them?
6) Will the artificial sun be quenched by the river water?
7) Why the tantacles can control Doc Oc ?
8) In real world,who will clean up the web left behind by Spiderman?
9) Why he always needs to get advanced money from his boss?
10) How can he store so much web in his hands?

Physics news on Phys.org
Saint said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Very Funny! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though it must be annoying for the street cleaner, with the web clinging to his brush and whatever.

"I'm in love with Mary Jane" -Spiderman

Had me rolling on the floor after that one. Maybe because I was high when I watched it though.

4) HE seemed losing his power gradually until MJ was abducted by Dr Octopus, why?

I remember from the old spider-man cartoon (not the 60s one) that once spider-man was losing his powers and then started to mutant into a "real" giant spider. I forget how he changed back.

Entropy said:
I remember from the old spider-man cartoon (not the 60s one) that once spider-man was losing his powers and then started to mutant into a "real" giant spider. I forget how he changed back.

If I delve into my imagination, I would say it is because he noticed that everyone was watching and he got embarrassed.

I saw Spiderman 2 yesterday and loved it.

As for bad guys for the next movie... Remember in the first film how Osborne Junior said he wished he could be half the man his father is? His father had two halves: Osborne, and the Green Goblin. Junior becomes the Green Goblin. This basically follows the comics and cartoons. Although in the comics and cartoons I think the original Green Goblin was actually stuck in another dimension.

I loved the film. A worthy sequel. Great action, all very much like the comics. Those who have been into comics may notice that the dialogue is almost identical to the style used in many comics.

Saint said:
A few questions:
1) I think there will be Spiderman 3, the green goblin will be back, acted by Harry Osborn. Right?
2) Is Spiderman possible to stop the train by his web?
3) Is he possible to marry MJ and have a normal children? Isn't his genetics was changed by radiation?
5) Is it true that in America, there are people who are so poor that even a 20 dollar is important to them?
7) Why the tantacles can control Doc Oc ?
10) How can he store so much web in his hands?

As a devoted spiderman fan, I will do my best to answer these questions.

1) Harry Osborn did later become the green goblin, correct
2) Spiderman seems to be able to do most anything with enough of his web, including stop a train
3) Considering it's a fictional movie, he could have normal children, I remember in the comic that something happened where MJ got pregnant and the baby died before it was born though...
4) I haven't seen the movie, but I'd guess that his love being kidnapped gave him whatever inspiration he needed to do what he needed
5) In America, there are people so poor that much less than $20 is important to them, there are people who spend all day collecting soda cans people leave on the ground to refund them for 5 cents each.
8) Spiderman's web was always eco-friendly and bio-degradable, it would disappear after about an hour.
9) Peter's just a kid who needs money, going to school, taking MJ out on dates etc. gets expensive
10) Peter is a genius, he designed small cartridges which carry liquid spider web, and something he wears around his wrist to shoot it. When he presses down on a part of it, the web shoots out, he's a very good scientist, and his spider abilities helped him figure out how to make the web really well

Saint said:
if the director wants it I can't see why not ...

Saint said:
anger management ...

Saint said:
it is true here also...

Saint said:
only if it's a big river. If not Spiderman will wrap what's left in his web until no radiation gets out any more...

Saint said:
does this question really needs an answer?

Woah Guybrush, you haven't graced these forums in a while...or i haven't seen you. Welcome back!

Thanks jimmy. been very busy at work... :cry:

Last I heard there is discussion that the next Spiderman movie will star Venom as the villain. Personally I would rather they wait on Venom though. Use him as the revival villain if interest wanes.

I want to see Mysterio, Scorpion, or Lizard as the next baddie.

I figure they'll do a double villain story next time, like The Riddler/Two Face Batman.

There will be an experienced criminal type villain who will direct Harry Osborn's malevolent streak.

Has anyone seen any of the philosophical discussions of the Spiderman movies? They are surprisingly interesting.

Njorl

It would be boring to see just green goblin jr. fighting again.

Rumor has it that the astronaut who was MJ's love interest will come back from space carrying the alien symbiote known as Venom.

I saw the movie yesterday. As with the first one, I was impressed with the FX, and not too disturbed by the physics used, such as Spiderman's movements, jumps, swings etc, looked very natural and plausible considering his powers. I think stopping the train with his arms was a bit much (one punch in the face from an arm that could stop a speeding train should have killed Doc Oct), but I could believe the web could hold (actual spiderweb is incredibily strong).

The movie set up the possiblity of Doc Oct having his mind controlled by the arms, what bugged me is he made the safety device out of glass and the arms out of some incredibly strong metal. Cover the darn glass thing with the metal!

The movie also set up the idea that if Peter got his head back on straight he would get his powers back (it said that he was losing them because of a mental block).

Overall though, I enjoyed the film.

Artman said:
The movie also set up the idea that if Peter got his head back on straight he would get his powers back (it said that he was losing them because of a mental block).

I think the idea was that he was resenting being Spiderman, so he was losing the ability to be Spiderman.

So what do you guys think about the moral message? Are you are responsible for the good you fail to do? Are the gifted morally obligated to serve?

Njorl

Njorl said:
I think the idea was that he was resenting being Spiderman, so he was losing the ability to be Spiderman...

Agreed. At first I thought it might be from malnutrition and/or exhaust, but the doctor said it was in his head.

Njorl said:
...Are the gifted morally obligated to serve?

Njorl

I believe we are all morally obligated to help one another. I liked scene on the train after he stopped it and the people came to Spiderman's defense. They were ineffectual, but they tried. We can all try.

1. How scientifically accurate is Spiderman 2?

While there are some elements that are based on real science, such as the concept of fusion energy and the use of spider silk in technology, the overall premise of a person gaining spider-like abilities through a genetically engineered spider bite is not scientifically possible.

2. Can spider silk really stop a train like in Spiderman 2?

No, spider silk is not strong enough to stop a train. While it is one of the strongest natural materials known, it would require a much larger amount and a different structure to stop a train.

3. How does Spiderman's suit work?

In the movie, Spiderman's suit is made of a material called "smart fabric" which can change its properties based on an electric current. While there is currently research being done on similar types of fabric, it is not yet possible for a suit to have these capabilities.

4. Can Doc Ock's fusion experiment really create a mini sun?

No, a fusion experiment that creates a mini sun is not currently possible with our current technology. It would require much more advanced technology and a much larger scale experiment.

5. How accurate is the portrayal of amputations and prosthetics in the movie?

The portrayal of amputations and prosthetics in the movie is somewhat accurate. While the technology for advanced prosthetics exists, the way they are portrayed in the movie, such as the use of tentacles for mobility, is not currently possible.