I would share my genetic algorithm subroutine

In summary, the speaker has developed a Fortran subroutine for implementing a double precision genetic algorithm and would like to share it for improvement. They are asking for suggestions on where to publish it, and one person suggests SourceForge as a good option. The speaker clarifies that it is not a new algorithm and is currently exploring GNU projects. They also provide a link for anyone who wants to help with the project.
luxxio
Dear all, i wrote a fortran subroutine that implement a genetic algorithm in double precision. I would like share this code in order to improve and due to the lack of this kind (double precision) of genetic algorithm in fortran. My question is where i can do this? best regards

Technology news on Phys.org
If its a novel algorithm I would try publishing it.

If you really want to share it with the world, http://sourceforge.net/" is a good place. Do a search for science to see what's out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not a new algorithm. ...in the while I'm trying with gnu projects. thanx

1. What is a genetic algorithm subroutine?

A genetic algorithm subroutine is a computer program that uses a problem-solving approach inspired by the process of natural selection. It involves creating a population of potential solutions and using techniques such as mutation and crossover to evolve and improve these solutions until an optimal solution is reached.

2. How does a genetic algorithm subroutine work?

A genetic algorithm subroutine starts by creating a random initial population of potential solutions. It then evaluates each solution's fitness based on a predetermined fitness function. The solutions with the highest fitness are selected for reproduction, and their genetic material is combined through techniques such as crossover and mutation. This process is repeated for multiple generations until an optimal solution is found.

3. What are the benefits of using a genetic algorithm subroutine?

Genetic algorithm subroutines have several benefits, including their ability to handle complex problems with multiple variables, their adaptability to changing environments, and their potential to find optimal solutions without prior knowledge of the problem. They are also useful for finding creative and innovative solutions to problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using a genetic algorithm subroutine?

While genetic algorithm subroutines have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They can be computationally expensive for complex problems, and the solutions they find may not always be the most optimal. They also require a well-defined fitness function and parameter settings for optimal performance.

5. How can I implement a genetic algorithm subroutine in my research or project?

To implement a genetic algorithm subroutine, you will need to understand the problem you are trying to solve and determine whether it is suitable for a genetic algorithm approach. You will also need to define the problem's fitness function and parameter settings, as well as select appropriate coding tools and libraries. It may also be helpful to consult with an expert in genetic algorithms for guidance and support.