Ice cube in an old Micro-oven giving visible electric shocks

In summary, a person put 1 litre of ice cube in a 30-year-old micro-oven and set the power to maximum. The ice cube contained a small fish with trace amounts of mercury. The micro-oven sent microwaves, causing white electric shocks to form inside. This may have been due to the circular shape of the ice cube condensing the microwaves and the presence of halo-noise in the electricity system. The 90s micro-ovens did not have this issue. The design of the current micro-ovens may cause the electric shocks to be directed towards the air rather than the body of the micro. The lack of grounding in the house may have contributed to the formation of the electric shocks.
  • #1
soopo
225
0
I put 1 litre of ice cube to the micro-oven which is age is about 30 years. The shape of the ice cube was a little bit circular. I set the power of the micro to the maximum. There were continuous white electric shocks inside the micro. The ice cube contained a little fish which contained some micro grams of mercury.

I do not understand why the given electric shocks happened. The micro-oven sends microwaves. Probably most of them is reflected back. Probably because of the circular shape of the object the microwaves condensed gaining a lot energy to one point, since the electric shocks were not all over the micro, but smootly at the regular intervals.

The micro-oven gets energy from the house where are a lot halo-noise in the system of electricity because of the current mercury lamps used widely in the given area. The input system of the machine was not designed to overcome the given noise.

The 90s micro-ovens have not caused me such a issue. It seems that the given micro-oven uses different frequency than the given ones, probably by accident. I would expect that the design of the current micro-ovens forwards the electric shocks to the body of the micro and not to the air.

1. Why was he electric shock formed in the micro-oven?
2. How do the new micro-ovens forward the energy condensation in one point inside the micro?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
There is no grounding in the house so the electricity could not escape and it went to the air. Ok.

Probably, the micro-oven gives the given electric shock always with the full power. I do not want to test it.
Probably, the shape or nature of the object does not affect the formation of the electric shocks.

Are my assumptions right?
 

Related to Ice cube in an old Micro-oven giving visible electric shocks

1. How does an ice cube in an old microwave cause visible electric shocks?

An old microwave oven may have worn or damaged insulation, which can lead to small gaps or cracks in the walls of the oven. When an ice cube is placed inside, the microwaves pass through the gaps and cause electric sparks to be produced on the surface of the cube.

2. Is it dangerous to witness visible electric shocks from an old microwave?

While it may be alarming to see visible electric shocks, it is typically not dangerous. The amount of energy produced is usually not enough to cause harm to humans. However, it is important to have the microwave inspected and repaired to prevent future accidents.

3. Can this phenomenon occur with any type of liquid or object in an old microwave?

Yes, this phenomenon can occur with any object or liquid that contains water. This includes ice cubes, water, and even moist food. As long as there is moisture present, the microwaves can produce electric sparks.

4. Is it safe to continue using an old microwave with this issue?

No, it is not safe to continue using an old microwave with this issue. The visible electric shocks are a sign of damaged insulation, which can lead to more serious electrical problems. It is important to have the microwave inspected and repaired by a professional.

5. Can this issue be fixed or should the microwave be replaced?

In most cases, this issue can be fixed by repairing or replacing the damaged insulation. However, if the microwave is very old and has other issues, it may be more cost-effective to replace it with a new one. It is best to consult a professional for their recommendation.

Similar threads

  • Sci-Fi Writing and World Building
Replies
21
Views
2K
Replies
4
Views
4K
  • Mechanical Engineering
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Mechanics
2
Replies
46
Views
18K
  • MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, LaTeX
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, LaTeX
Replies
5
Views
2K
Replies
2
Views
3K
Replies
2
Views
4K
  • MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, LaTeX
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, LaTeX
Replies
5
Views
3K
Back
Top