I'd like to see your point of view

• Thread starter krtica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, during the Modern period, Isaac Newton described planetary motion through the concept of force. However, Gottfried Leibniz disagreed with this explanation, viewing it as not fully comprehensible and instead proposed the vortex theory as the proper explanation for planetary motion.
krtica
During the Modern period, planetary motion was described by Newton through force. Leibniz thought Newton was turning planetary motion to an "occult quality", as something not fully intelligible. Leibniz viewed the proper explanation as being completely mechanical, that only by an "impressed impetus" can an object move. As his antithesis, Leibniz proposed the vortex theory as being responsible for planetary motion.

This is a very brief preface, but do you believe that Newton's explanation of planetary force is intelligible? I am beginning my studies in physics and find its progression fascinating. I am interested to read responses from those who have been in physics much longer than I.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
krtica said:
do you believe that Newton's explanation of planetary force is intelligible?
Yes, which part of it confuses you?

1. What does it mean when someone says "I'd like to see your point of view"?

When someone says "I'd like to see your point of view," they are expressing interest in understanding your perspective on a particular topic or situation. They want to hear your thoughts, opinions, and beliefs on the matter.

2. How should I respond when someone asks to see my point of view?

You can respond by sharing your thoughts and opinions in an open and respectful manner. It is important to listen to the other person's point of view as well and engage in a constructive dialogue.

3. Why is it important to consider different points of view?

Considering different points of view allows us to gain a deeper understanding of a subject and see things from different angles. It also promotes critical thinking and can lead to finding common ground or solutions to problems.

4. Can I respectfully disagree with someone's point of view?

Yes, it is possible to respectfully disagree with someone's point of view. It is important to express your disagreement in a calm and respectful manner, providing reasons and evidence to support your own viewpoint.

5. How can I effectively communicate my point of view to others?

To effectively communicate your point of view, it is important to listen to others, be clear and concise in your communication, and use evidence and examples to support your arguments. It is also important to be open to hearing and considering other perspectives.