Idea for black body source

In summary, an integrating sphere with an incandescent lamp as a radiation source can be used to check the accuracy of radiation thermometers between calibrations, but is not the most accurate or cost effective method.
mookins
Hi,

I am trying to implement a low tech, quick "check" source for our radiation thermometers to ensure they are in good working order between calibrations again a calibrated black body radiation source.

My idea was to use an integrating sphere with an incandescent lamp as a source. Then two signals would be tapped from the sphere via fibre optic leads and then fed into two radiation thermometers. One of the two radiation thermometers would be an offline unit which is known to be in good working order, unlike those used in production.

I just want to know if this sounds feasible to you before I go drop a bit of cash having a go at it.

Physics news on Phys.org
mookins said:
Hi,

I am trying to implement a low tech, quick "check" source for our radiation thermometers to ensure they are in good working order between calibrations again a calibrated black body radiation source.

My idea was to use an integrating sphere with an incandescent lamp as a source. Then two signals would be tapped from the sphere via fibre optic leads and then fed into two radiation thermometers. One of the two radiation thermometers would be an offline unit which is known to be in good working order, unlike those used in production.

I just want to know if this sounds feasible to you before I go drop a bit of cash having a go at it.

Here's a good paper on calibration and associated uncertainties: http://www.bipm.org/wg/CCT/CCT-WG5/Allowed/Miscellaneous/Low_T_Uncertainty_Paper_Version_1.71.pdf

Your idea will work, but for a quicker check why not use something like a hotplate with a settable temperature? The uncertainties are likely to be high regardless.

There are commercial black body sources you could purchase if you need higher accuracy, intergrating sphere's aren't the cheapest things in the world either. :smile:

Last edited:
Hi,

We have a commercial black body reference, a Mikron M335. Unfortunately due to the nature of the process, damage to the fibre optic leads and lenses is hard to avoid and common. We would like a way to check the instruments weekly, even daily if possible to ensure there is no recent damage that may have ocured to the lens or fibre optic lead.

The instruments are dual wavelength ratiometric pyrometers and measure from 700°C up to 1800°C. Due to the temperature range a hotplate soon becomes a miniature furnace and with that comes a whole host of other issues.

I am pursuing the original idea, but with a diffuser, https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1660&pn=ED1-C20-MD
If that works well but needs something better I can then try an integrating sphere.

Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated and I will be sure to report back.

mookins said:
Hi,

We have a commercial black body reference, a Mikron M335. Unfortunately due to the nature of the process, damage to the fibre optic leads and lenses is hard to avoid and common. We would like a way to check the instruments weekly, even daily if possible to ensure there is no recent damage that may have ocured to the lens or fibre optic lead.

The instruments are dual wavelength ratiometric pyrometers and measure from 700°C up to 1800°C. Due to the temperature range a hotplate soon becomes a miniature furnace and with that comes a whole host of other issues.

I am pursuing the original idea, but with a diffuser, https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1660&pn=ED1-C20-MD
If that works well but needs something better I can then try an integrating sphere.

Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated and I will be sure to report back.

Yes, no doubt those temps are a bit warm for the ol hot plate trick. :)

Good luck.

1. What is a black body source?

A black body source is a theoretical object that absorbs all incoming radiation and emits it with a specific spectrum of wavelengths, depending on its temperature. It is often used as a standard for measuring the radiation emitted by other objects.

2. Why is a black body source important in science?

Black body sources are important in science because they provide a standardized way of measuring radiation emitted by different objects. They also help in understanding the principles of thermodynamics and the behavior of electromagnetic radiation.

3. How is a black body source created in a laboratory setting?

A black body source can be created in a laboratory using a specialized chamber or cavity with a small opening. The walls of the chamber are made of a material that can absorb and emit radiation, and the opening allows for the radiation to escape. The temperature of the chamber is controlled to create a specific spectrum of radiation.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and the spectrum of a black body source?

According to Planck's law, the spectrum of radiation emitted by a black body source is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the intensity of radiation at all wavelengths also increases. At higher temperatures, the peak of the spectrum shifts towards shorter wavelengths.

5. How are black body sources used in various fields of science?

Black body sources are used in various fields of science, including astronomy, thermodynamics, and materials science. In astronomy, they are used to study the radiation emitted by stars and other celestial bodies. In thermodynamics, they are used to understand the behavior of heat and energy. In materials science, they are used to study the properties of different materials based on their emission and absorption of radiation.