Can a Magnetic Floor Improve Roller Hockey Puck Handling and Gameplay?

In summary, my friend's idea of having air holes in the floor to create a charge to make the puck slide on is feasible, but would require a lot of power and would require a thick surface to protect players. His idea of using a magnetic field to make the puck slide is also feasible, but would require more power and would require heavier pucks to work well.
jaredmt
my friend thought of an interesting idea and i was just wondering if it would be worth the money to do it, or if it seems practical.
the problem with roller hockey is that the puck, even with wheels on it, doesn't slide too well. its pretty difficult to handle the puck on wood and its 10x easier to handle a puck on ice. his idea was to have little holes all throughout the floor that blow air out, like the same concept in air hockey, only for real hockey. This would be pretty cool to have, but would it cost a lot of money? (how expensive compared to constructing/maintaining an ice rink?) and would it be too much of a hassel with repairs?

my other idea is to have circuits set up under the floor and when a switch turns on, a magnetic field is created giving the floor a charge. and the puck could have the same charge. the strenght of the field would be just strong enough to make the puck slide. only problem is i think ppl have metal components on their skates. so idk, my friends idea is probably better

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, by my quick estimates, an ice hockey rink is at least 600 times larger in area than a typical air hockey table. The idea is feasible as far as I'm concerned. I have no idea what kind of power is needed to keep the ice frozen, but in comparison, running some low flow compressors for puck lift has to be in the same ballpark.

A couple things that I think of off the bat: First, in order to have a safe playing surface, the holes would need to be very small to that your skates don't sink into them. This means there needs to be more them, but not a problem. The actual playing surface needs to be thick enough to take the maximum load, which people flying all over play could be substantial.

So the surface itself would need to be somewhat thick. Pumping through thousands of tiny holes could cause huge pressure losses, and drive the inefficiencies through the roof.

After quick google, it seams though good air hockey tables have CFM ratings of over 350, closer to 400. So, for your full-size rhink, you'll need around 250,000 CFM pumping through a whole lotta tiny holes.

A problem I foresee is that air hockey pucks are quite light, which allows them to float on air. Using very light pucks in real hockey probably wouldn't work well. You'd probably have to use heavier pucks and higher pressure air.

FAQ: Can a Magnetic Floor Improve Roller Hockey Puck Handling and Gameplay?

1. What materials are best for a roller hockey floor?

The best materials for a roller hockey floor are typically hard surfaces such as concrete, asphalt, or sport court tiles. These materials provide a smooth and durable surface for the wheels of roller hockey skates to glide on. Some facilities also use synthetic ice surfaces, but these can be more expensive and may require more maintenance.

2. How thick should a roller hockey floor be?

The ideal thickness for a roller hockey floor depends on the type of material used. For concrete or asphalt, a thickness of 4-6 inches is recommended to provide enough strength and stability. For sport court tiles, a thickness of 3/4 inch is typically used. Synthetic ice surfaces can vary in thickness, but a minimum of 1/2 inch is recommended.

3. What are the dimensions of a standard roller hockey floor?

A standard roller hockey floor is typically rectangular in shape with dimensions of 185 feet by 85 feet. However, the exact dimensions can vary depending on the available space and the specific regulations of the league or organization using the floor. It is important to consult with the league or organization for their specific requirements.

4. How should a roller hockey floor be maintained?

To maintain a roller hockey floor, regular cleaning and maintenance is necessary. This can include sweeping or vacuuming the surface to remove debris and dust, mopping with a mild cleaner to remove any marks or stains, and periodically applying a sealant to protect the surface. It is also important to regularly check for any cracks or damage and repair them promptly to ensure the safety and longevity of the floor.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using a roller hockey floor?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when using a roller hockey floor. It is important to always wear proper protective gear, including a helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads. Players should also be aware of their surroundings and avoid collisions with other players or the walls. It is also recommended to have a designated safety official or first aid kit available in case of any injuries.

Back