Is Gravity Riding Into the 5th Dimension Feasible for FTL Travel?

• Thread starter Lostpinky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, one individual suggests the idea of using gravity and the 5th dimension for FTL travel, but a misunderstanding of the size of the 5th dimension and how it relates to the concept of hyperspace is pointed out. The individual then proposes a new concept based on string theory, but it is ultimately disproved.
Lostpinky
Hi guys,

I had an idea the other day about riding gravity into the smaller 5th dimension and then jumping out of it back to normal space time as a way of FTL travel. Now i don't know if this is the right place to ask questions like this but what would the feasibility/problems be like for such an idea and how would your think it could be done...

According to what i have read in string theory gravity appears to leak into higher dimensions, if a spaceship could also leak into this higher dimension (5th) then travel in this dimension and jump out of it at a desired location it would avoid the limit of light speed.

I know such theories of hyperspace might be similar I'm wondering if theoretically one could jump into the 5th dimension (which would be a great deal smaller than the 4d universe according to some theories I've read) travel at sublight in the 5th dimension and then jump out to wherever it is they desired. Mapping the entire universe onto a milimeter or smaller sized 5th dimension reducing the ship to something of this scale and then jumping back out again.

This is an idea i had for a book, it would allow almost instant travel throughout the universe. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're misunderstanding what a "smaller dimension" entails. If you "leaked yourself" into that 5th dimension (whose entire diameter is less than that of an atom), you could cross it and emerge again - but you would have moved less than the diameter of an atom.

Last edited:
I was thinking more in terms of the 5th dimension being a carbon copy of the universe but on the milimeter scale... EG:

Normal Space Time
____________________________(ME)__________________________________
...\ _________________________________________________/... .
......\______________________________/......
.........\____________/.........
5,6,7,8th dimension (whatever)..._(me)_

Is it plausible that the idea of hyperspace can be seen as a shrinking on the universe on a higher dimensional plane, so that if one were to enter the dimension by whatever means they could travel across the universe in a fraction of the time it would take normally.

I read somewhere that the smaller you get the more dimensions are available to you...

"The first three dimensions, length, height and width, are familiar to all of us. The fourth dimension is time. But what are the extra dimensions? "Imagine a tightrope stretched between skyscrapers," says Hewett. "If you are watching an acrobat walk across it — the tightrope looks like a line. But if you are watching an ant walk on the tightrope, you can see that the tightrope is thick and round." The extra dimensions postulated in string theory are like the tightrope with an ant on it; they are too small to see unless you get really, really close. "

Remember this is for a novel so I'm trying to come up with something that has some sort of basis in proper string theory and doesn't use the same old wormholes or folding space ideas.

Last edited:
Lostpinky said:
"Imagine a tightrope stretched between skyscrapers," says Hewett. "If you are watching an acrobat walk across it — the tightrope looks like a line. But if you are watching an ant walk on the tightrope, you can see that the tightrope is thick and round." The extra dimensions postulated in string theory are like the tightrope with an ant on it; they are too small to see unless you get really, really close. "
Yes, the tightrope is actually a great way of visualizing it. Alas, it's also a great way of invalidating your idea. Your idea, transposed onto the tightrope would mean that the tightrope walker could shrink himself down so small that he experiences the tightrope as two dimensional - with length and circumference.

But your idea then supposes that if he traversed the short dimesnion (i.e. circles the tightrope's circumference), he should, for some reason, emerge at the far end of the rope.

ah bugger... back to the drawing board then.

1. What is an "Idea needing some thought"?

An "Idea needing some thought" is a concept or proposal that requires further consideration and analysis before it can be fully developed and implemented. It may be a new invention, solution to a problem, or a business idea that needs refinement and planning to be successful.

2. How do you know if an idea needs more thought?

An idea may need more thought if it is not fully developed, lacks details or practicality, or if there are potential challenges or obstacles that need to be addressed before it can be put into action. It is important to critically evaluate an idea and consider any potential flaws or limitations before moving forward with it.

3. What are the benefits of giving an idea more thought?

Giving an idea more thought allows for a deeper understanding and analysis of its potential. It also allows for the identification and resolution of any potential issues or challenges, increasing the likelihood of success. Additionally, taking the time to fully develop an idea can lead to a more refined and effective end result.

4. How can you develop an idea that needs more thought?

To develop an idea that needs more thought, it is important to conduct research, gather information and feedback, and brainstorm potential solutions or improvements. Collaborating with others and seeking out diverse perspectives can also help to enhance and refine the idea.

5. How do you know when an idea is ready to be put into action?

An idea is ready to be put into action when it has been thoroughly analyzed and developed, potential challenges have been addressed, and a plan for implementation has been created. Additionally, seeking out feedback and input from others can help to determine if the idea is ready to be put into action.