Ideal Ball weight to get the maximum range from a ball launcher?

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a ball launcher to deliver bait into the sea. The ideal weight of the ball is being considered in order to achieve the greatest distance for the shot. The initial attempt involves a simplified model using a uniform rope with constant linear mass per unit length. Air resistance and the details of the launcher itself play a significant role in determining the ideal ball weight.
cosmo88
Hello guys, i am building a ball launcher to proper a line of baits into the sea, the line has 25 baits, each bait weights 30 grams (about 1oz)

ideal shooting degree seems to be 45 to get maximum range, What I would like to figure out is the ideal weight of the ball to achieve the greatest distance for a shot.

Here is an illustration of what I want to do:
Drawing.png

Many thanks for helping me with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is an attempt to design such a device, perhaps start with a simplified model to get a feel for the problem?

You don't mention the weight (better: mass) per unit length of the rope to which the baits are attached. Nor do you define the spacing of the baits on that rope.

Why not simplify the initial attempt by assuming a uniform rope of constant linear mass per unit length that effectively includes the masses of the baits along its length?

I think that this simplified version of the problem will not be an easy task to analyze, even ignoring air resistance on the line and ball.

Hi Gneill,

Thank you for your reply, I actually already made a simplified model, I am currently able to shoot a soccer ball (1lbs) about 100 yards, with no line or baits attached to it, that distance should be improved in the future real thing with a better band and design.

The Weight of a line (very thin rope) of 100 yards is about 1lbs too, the spacing between baits is 10 ft.

I thought about air resistance too, but as I am a complete newbie when it comes to physics I have no idea how to do the calculations.

Thanks again for helping.

Last edited:
A lot of this depends on the details of the launcher itself. If the launcher always launches at a fixed velocity, ideal ball weight is as heavy as possible to minimize the impact of air resistance. However, all real launchers will have some sort of launch velocity dependence on the mass of the projectile, and you need to know this before you can have an answer.

1. What is the ideal weight for a ball to achieve maximum range from a ball launcher?

The ideal weight for a ball to achieve maximum range from a ball launcher depends on various factors such as the type of launcher, the force applied, and the angle of launch. Generally, a ball that is neither too heavy nor too light is recommended for maximum range. This weight can range from 100-200 grams for most ball launchers.

2. How does the weight of the ball affect the range of a ball launcher?

The weight of the ball directly affects the range of a ball launcher. A heavier ball will require more force to launch and will have a shorter range due to increased air resistance. On the other hand, a lighter ball may not have enough momentum to travel a long distance. Therefore, finding the right balance in weight is crucial for maximum range.

3. Can using a heavier ball than the recommended weight increase the range of a ball launcher?

No, using a heavier ball than the recommended weight will not increase the range of a ball launcher. In fact, it may decrease the range due to increased air resistance and the need for more force to launch the ball. It is important to stick to the recommended weight for optimal performance.

4. Is there a specific weight that works best for all types of ball launchers?

No, there is no specific weight that works best for all types of ball launchers. The ideal weight may vary depending on the design and mechanics of the launcher. It is best to consult the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific launcher you are using.

5. Can the angle of launch affect the ideal weight of the ball for maximum range?

Yes, the angle of launch can affect the ideal weight of the ball for maximum range. For example, a higher angle of launch may require a lighter ball to achieve maximum range, while a lower angle of launch may require a slightly heavier ball. It is important to consider the angle of launch when determining the ideal weight for maximum range.