Ideal cells in parallel combination

In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of connecting two ideal cells with different EMF values in parallel. It is noted that internal resistances must be considered for a more accurate representation of the cells. It is also mentioned that ideal components are often used in introductory electronics, but it is not practical to connect ideal voltage sources with different values in parallel. The conversation also touches on the limitations of connecting ideal current sources in series.
saurabh tiwari
good evening to all
if two ideal cells with emf 6 volt and 3 volt are connected in parellel to supply current how the net emf can be decided

Physics news on Phys.org
saurabh tiwari said:
good evening to all
if two ideal cells with emf 6 volt and 3 volt are connected in parellel to supply current how the net emf can be decided
I think internal resistances must be given for parallel combination of cells..

Thanks to all... It is same as best of my knowledge now i know that i am right [emoji6][emoji6]

saurabh tiwari said:
Thanks to all... It is same as best of my knowledge now i know that i am right [emoji6][emoji6]
And what is the conclusion that you "know is right" ?

That it is impractical to say them ideal cell. Coz we ignore the internal resistance of a cell sometimes in comparison to external resistancesand call it ideal but when no external resistance is present you have to consider the internal resistance

saurabh tiwari said:
That it is impractical to say them ideal cell. Coz we ignore the internal resistance of a cell sometimes in comparison to external resistancesand call it ideal but when no external resistance is present you have to consider the internal resistance
Ah, yes. You are right, but ideal components are the staple of introductory electronics. and it is more correct to say that you simply cannot PUT ideal voltages sources with different voltages in parallel because you would thereby violate the definition of one or the other or both.

Just for completeness...

You can't connect two ideal current sources in series either.

What is the problem in series combination

saurabh tiwari said:
What is the problem in series combination
cwaters said ideal CURRENT sources cannot be put in series. Again, it would violate the definition of one or the other or both (unless they had identical values, in which case it's just silly)

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1433420002.408990.jpg

Is there any problem in this solution

No problem, since ideal voltage sources can go in series (and ideal current sources can go in parallel)

Ok ok got it

1. What is the purpose of connecting cells in parallel?

The purpose of connecting cells in parallel is to increase the overall current capacity of the circuit, as each cell will contribute its own current to the overall output.

2. How does connecting cells in parallel affect the voltage?

Connecting cells in parallel does not affect the voltage. The voltage across each cell will remain the same, but the overall current capacity will increase.

3. What happens if one cell in the parallel combination fails?

If one cell in the parallel combination fails, the other cells will continue to provide current to the circuit. However, the overall current capacity will be reduced.

4. How do you calculate the total current in a parallel combination of cells?

The total current in a parallel combination of cells is equal to the sum of the individual currents of each cell. For example, if three cells with currents of 2A, 3A, and 4A are connected in parallel, the total current will be 9A.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using cells in parallel combination?

One potential disadvantage of using cells in parallel combination is the increased complexity of the circuit and the need for additional wiring. Additionally, if the cells are not perfectly matched, one cell may discharge faster than the others, leading to an imbalance in the circuit.