1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law: messing with ratios

1. Dec 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Air is pumped into a bicycle tire. The 43 moles of air initially in the tire have a gauge pressure of 1 atm. How many moles of air must be pumped into the tire in order to raise the gauge pressure to 5 atm? Assume that the volume and temperature of the air inside the tire are approximately constant.

2. Relevant equations

Ideal Gas Law:
    PV = nRT

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the V and T were constant, as well as R, I set it up as (P1V1)/(n1T1) = (P2V2)/(n2T2) on the condition that R1 = R2.

V1=V2, T1=T2 So that would leave the equation at P1/n1 = P2/n2.

I decided to plug in and solve. P1=1 atm, n1=43 moles, P2=5 atm. 1/43 = 5/n2

When I solved for n2, I came out with 215 moles. My homework said it was wrong. can someone tell me where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are given the pressures in terms of gauge pressures. Are these the correct units to use with the ideal gas law?

4. Dec 17, 2013 #3

According to my instructor and the lessons/homework, the units should not matter as long as they are uniform throughout the problem and equations.

5. Dec 17, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Definition: Gauge pressure refers to the pressure of a system above atmospheric pressure.

Gauge Pressure = Total Pressure - 1 atm.

[PLAIN]http://chemistry.about.com/o...finition.htm[Í/url][/PLAIN] [Broken] ehild

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Dec 17, 2013 #5
    It's not a mater of units. Both absolute and gauge pressure are measured in the same units.
    The gas law in the format you used is "designed" to work for absolute pressure. Same as it only works with temperature in Kelvin but not in Celsius.

7. Dec 17, 2013 #6
    Ok, I see the problem. thank you guys for the help. Much appreciated. ^_^

8. Dec 17, 2013 #7
    Well, I went back and re-did my work and came out with 129 moles. It was still wrong.

9. Dec 17, 2013 #8
    Nevermind, error on my part. I needed the amount of moles that was added, not the amount of moles in the end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted