Ideal Gases: O2 & H2 - Kinetic Energy Comparison

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the kinetic energy of two ideal gases, O2 and H2, at thermal equilibrium. The conclusion is that while the average kinetic energy may be the same, the individual kinetic energy of each gas depends on its mass and velocity and will therefore be different.
MMS
Hello,

I want to make sure I understand the following considering ideal gases.
Assuming I have two different types of gases, say, O2 and H2 (each at thermal equilibrium), is it correct to say that the kinetic energy of the O2 gas equals to the kinetic energy of the H2 gas since they're both ideal gases?
I see this as follows: Each of their masses is of course different and so is the (mean) velocity. However, the multiplication of both terms (since the energy is given by half m(gas)*v(gas)) gives an equal number.
Did I get this right?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in fact kinetic energy is proportional to temperature for an ideal gas:

[tex] KE = \frac{3}{2} k T [/tex]

Likes MMS
MMS said:
multiplication of both terms (since the energy is given by half m(gas)*v(gas)) gives an equal number.
Did I get this right?

i think it should be velocity square- may be a typo.
if you are talking of averge K.E.(due to R.M.S.velocity) then the energy comes out to be (3/2) kT and if two gases are at same temp its average K.E. will be equal but individual kinetic energy depends on mass as well as velocity and will be different .

Likes DuckAmuck and MMS

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept used in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to simplify the behavior of gases. It is a gas that obeys the gas laws, where the molecules are assumed to have no volume and do not interact with each other.

2. What is the difference between O2 and H2 in terms of kinetic energy?

Oxygen (O2) and hydrogen (H2) are both ideal gases, and therefore have similar behaviors. However, the difference in mass between the two molecules results in a difference in kinetic energy. Hydrogen molecules have a lower mass compared to oxygen molecules, therefore they have higher kinetic energy and move at a faster speed.

3. How does temperature affect the kinetic energy of ideal gases?

According to the kinetic theory of gases, the average kinetic energy of gas molecules is directly proportional to the temperature. As the temperature increases, the molecules gain more kinetic energy and move at a faster speed.

4. How is the kinetic energy of ideal gases related to pressure and volume?

The kinetic energy of ideal gases is related to pressure and volume through the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the temperature and number of moles of gas. This means that as the pressure or volume of an ideal gas increases, the kinetic energy of the molecules also increases.

5. Can the kinetic energy of ideal gases be measured?

Yes, the kinetic energy of ideal gases can be measured using instruments such as a thermometer or a gas pressure sensor. These instruments measure the temperature and pressure of the gas, which can then be used to calculate the average kinetic energy of the molecules.